Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with this welder...
- - By ftgokie Date 01-11-2007 03:09 Edited 01-11-2007 03:24
Hi guys, me and my 6 yr old son was out at my uncles house watching deer when we was fixing to leave i noticed this welder by his old shop. I called him and asked him about it and he said if I wanted it, to load it up. He said last time he used it in 1999 it worked. He bought it off a guy in 1976 to use on the farm. He quit using it because he bought a new welder. So I went home and got my truck and went back and loaded it up. I took some pics before I loaded it to post on here to see if you guys could tell me if it will be worth it or not to rebuild it. If it will be worth it, where would I get parts, metal cover, stuff like that for it? Here is whats on the plate....

Code: 3311 Serial Number: A357199
Let me know if its worth squat.

On my way home, we stopped by dads, and he had a brand new Lincoln Ranger 250 in his truck. He said I could have his old Miller, so I took pics of it also. You can view the pics of the 2 welders in my photo album,it should be working now. Just click on the Lincoln and Miller folders.......Thanks guys

You can either reply to me here or send em an email.......ftgokie@yahoo.com

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ftgokie/albums
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-11-2007 23:39
Pre 70's, maybe even 60's sa200 Shortface. A very good welder to have around! Have you tried to turn it over? Go buy some spark plugs for it, but before you replace them squirt a good amount of penetrating oil in the cylinder while the plugs are out. Replace the plugs. Disconnect the main coil wire and crank it over. This will lube the cylinder walls up a bit. If it's turning over good, replace the coil wire and get some leads.

There's a fellow on here that sells alot of shortface welders and parts. I'll get back to you if he doesn't first.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-12-2007 21:59
Again, there is no such thing as a "shortface". There are "short hood" machines and there are "red face" machines. What you refere to doesn't exist. This type of (wrong) advise doesn't do anyone any good.
As an aside, there aren't any Lincoln red fac nor short hood machines that have a "coil wire" so it would be very, very difficult to disconnect it.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-12-2007 22:02
Ok dammit, "shorthood"!!
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-13-2007 20:24
; )

JTMcC.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-14-2007 23:07
Shows you how much I know about the machines. What can I say? Generation X? How bout GenXXX. .. . . tee hee
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-13-2007 08:04
You can prevent sparks with a magneto by holding the kill terminal grounded.  Removing the plug wires also works.  Of course this particular machine has no mag so it can't produce sparks.  Ask your uncle if he still has those parts, lots of times it just got running bad, things got taken off, a replacement appeared, and the parts are still sitting on a workbench somewhere.

If the carb is off I would want to feel around in the intake manifold with a wire to avoid sucking any mouse nests into the motor.  If it were an overhead valve motor I would be very careful about that first turn in case a valve is stuck open (valve cover off, turn by hand a little at a time while ensuring that each valve is following the cam).

If you do the work yourself the machine is probably economical to repair.  Good luck.

Bill
Parent - - By Harley5150 (*) Date 01-12-2007 01:44
looks like a 1956 model.. I wish I had an uncle like you!!

Harley Gwyn
Odessa TX
Parent - By J-GROVE JER Date 01-12-2007 02:57
YOU HAVE A 1956 SA 200,I OWN A 1955 AND IT IS BY FAR THE BEST WELDING MACHINE I HAVE EVER USED NOT TO MENTION THE HOTTIST, AS FAR AS A SA200 GO'S, MINE LOAD TESTED TO 380 AMP'S.FIRST THING TO DO IS FIND A WELDER TECHNICIAN AND HAVE HIM OR HER CHECK IT OUT. THEY WILL TELL YOU IF IT IS WORTH WORKING ON,I NOTICED THE MAGNETO IS MISSING, AND THAT IS AN EXPENSIVE ITEM APPROX.$800 TO REPLACE IF YOU CAN FIND ONE +INSTALLATION.THE QUESTION IS WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE WELDER? GOOD LUCK.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-13-2007 03:48
i looked at ur pics and noticed there is not a carburator or magneto you will need those to get her to start after you get those parts i would change the oil and lube the cylinder walls as stated in 1 of the replies and see what she does if u need parts let me know i have a parts machine for sale all or part is that 10/22 you have in your photo album for sale or the 22 mag pistol ?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with this welder...