Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3-phase to single phase (locked)
- - By tsalagi (*) Date 01-11-2007 11:20
does anyone know if you can take a 3 phase machine and change it over to single phase? i heard that you can but, would it be expencive, troublesome, or affect the output of the machine in any way?
Parent - By welderseller (**) Date 01-11-2007 12:11
It is expensive, check out www.phaseconverter.com
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-11-2007 12:28
You don't convert the machine, just the power supply to the machine. Those phase converters work well to take single phase current and sling the legs out of phase to create 3 phase current, just be sure to size it accordingly(ie. check the startup amperage of the motor when sizing)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-11-2007 14:09
Hello tsalagi, depending on the real question that you are asking, there could be two answers here. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your question. Many of the inverter power supplies are capable of operating on either 1 phase, or 3 phase, and multiple voltages. In this case when they are operated in the 1 phase mode they will generally disconnect the red lead and tape it off and then use the appropriate 3 prong plug for connection to input voltage. The output of the machine is slightly de-rated when operation is occuring in this manner. If you are referring to a true 3 phase only machine and trying to convert it over for 1 phase operation then the other posters have given you the answer, telling you that internally there are not any realistic ways to make this happen. As they also told you, you can use a phase converter for this purpose, but in most cases the sizes of these converters for the amp requirements of welding machines will make this a cost-prohibitive endeavor. If you truly desire to have a machine that can be used on 1 phase input power you should really look at a 1 phase ready machine or one of the 1 phase/3 phase capable inverters. Just my $.02, regards and good luck, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3-phase to single phase (locked)