Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT level 1
- - By Stallsmith (*) Date 01-12-2007 18:36
I went to three years of welding school, worked as a lead welder for a Fab shop for almost 10 years and I am in my third year teaching Welding Technology at a Career and Technical School.  I am taking the CWI exam this summer.  There is a big difference in being able to weld and knowing all the technical aspects of it.  I am confident though that I have the knowledge.

My question is perhaps a dumb one but I can't seem to find the information I need about it.  Does the CWI cert give you the NDT level 1?  If not how does one get that credential and what is involved?  Further what are the criteria for level 2 and level 3?

Perhaps someone can lead me to a website or somewhere I could get this information.

Thanks

Jim
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-12-2007 19:19
these are two totally different cert categories. cwi is by aws, ndt level I, II, & III are by asnt. the cwi will not give you any credit toward ndt           ( maybe vt). all the required info for getting ndt certs can be found in ASNT-TC-1A. you will need a combination of classroom training, and on the job training working under a certified ndt tech. in ndt i believe there are about 9 methods to get certified in, from magnetic particle, to x-ray, to infared thermography. your best bet would be to get a copy of asnt-tc-1a or call a local testing lab and talk to the manager about what your looking for.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-12-2007 20:49
Hogan is absolutely correct.  I may add the following points though.

NDT certification in the respect of ASNT cert vs. a company cert are very much the same as welder qualifications. For weldeing, you can go take a welding test and get certified through AWS of another lab on your own and have these paper to show your prospective employer.  9 out of 10 employers will see the cert and say "ok, so you've passed a welding test before!!!!" and they will make you take their own test and certify you through their company.  Or, you test and certify at company "A".....company "A's" cert means nothing to company "B" and company "B" will test you again and certify you for THEIR company.

NDT certs work very much the same way.  You can go through ASNT and get a level I or II cert (following the education and exp. req's), apply for NDT company "A", and company "A" will 9 times out of 10 make you test and certify through them.  Again, company "A's" cert will more than likely not transfer to company "B".  If you have documented training and experience though, most of the time you only have to test, and not go through each companies classroom requirements.

If you are looking into getting NDT certified, the best I can tell you is look into hiring on with an NDT company.
Parent - - By Stallsmith (*) Date 01-12-2007 21:56
Hey thanks for the info.  I was confused about NDT certs.  I will get and read the ASNT-TC-1A.

I definitely want to pursue the NDT end of welding inspection.  As a teacher I am off during the summer and there is a local company I know I could work for doing inspection work.  I wasn't really sure though if the CWI would qualified me to perform MT or PT testing.  Apparently though I would need a NDT cert for that.  But I assume I could still write WPS and certify their welders according to those but I could not perform NDE on the jobs. 

Thanks again for the info!!!

Jim
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-13-2007 01:02
"I wasn't really sure though if the CWI would qualified me to perform MT or PT testing."

- No it does not (per ASNT or SNT-TC-1A)

"Apparently though I would need a NDT cert for that."

- depends

"But I assume I could still write WPS and certify their welders according to those but I could not perform NDE on the jobs."

- correct, sorta.  You can perform NDT all you want.  You just wont be certified Level I or II per ASNT or in accordance with SNT-TC-1A.  It depends on company and customer specs.  It is perfectly ok to perform an MT or PT test for an added benefit in the inspection process.  Most welder quals are either bent or RT'd, so the MT or PT would be a preliminary inspection.  The only thing that would prevent you from being able to do a "final" inspection is if a spec or contract or company standards say a MT or PT will be conducted on welder quals by a certified level I or level II.  

Your best bet is to verify with the company you will try to hire on with. 
Parent - - By Stallsmith (*) Date 01-13-2007 01:15
Ok I think I understand now.  I usually perform PT or MT prior to bend test coupons for my students just as a priliminary thing.  So now I understand that is perfectly fine.  I wouldn't be able to do it however for a company if the code or standard dictated it be performed by a NDT or if the WPS specified an NDT perform that type of test.

And if I understand correctly if a company was welding a section of pipe that required an RT on the finished weld then I could perform a PT or MT on the root pass to verify 100% backgouging and detect any possible defects as a insurance thing as long as the customer or employer did not require that that type of testing be performed by a NDT.

Thanks Again!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-13-2007 03:25
SNT-TC-1A 2001 covers the following NDE methods:
METHODS                                       
acoustic emission testing
electromagnetic testing
laser testing
leak testing
liquid penetrant testing
magnetic particle testing
neutron radiographic testing
radiographic testing
thermal/infrared testing
ultrasonic testing
vibration analysis
visual testing

TC1A is a recommended practice by itself. At times certain codes and contract stipulations require these recommendations be followed, at such time shoulds become shalls.
CP 189 has more teeth to it utilizing more shalls from the start.

As for your specific statement, unless specifically stated by contract and or code documents, you could perform either PT or MT to your hearts content for informational purposes, just not for code inspections. That by the way is not an unusual circumstance. It's not uncommon for instance for a welder to perform a non code pt for informational purposes. In a lot of respects it's actually beneficial. The only time this can be a problem is if florescent PT is called for by contracts or code. It's not a good idea to follow a visible dye pen exam with florescent dye pen.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-13-2007 03:05
A CWI will give you an ASNT ACCP direct VT Level II. (general industries)
Parent - - By Stallsmith (*) Date 01-13-2007 03:17
I haven't heard of that. (ASNT ACCP direct VT Level II) Thanks!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-13-2007 11:29 Edited 01-13-2007 11:44
Wasn't there a temporary window of opportunity offered by ASNT to honor CWIs (who had taken the correct vision test for VT II) as having the credentials/training/experience/knowledge to satisfy the ACCP's VT Level II program?

Seems like when I was grandfathering in (transitioning)on the ACCP VT Level II there was a deadline and no one after the could transition in....But, I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Seems to me the cut off date was Oct, 2002 - Sept. 30, 2003 for CWIs to transition in. That was the date when I slipped in by the skin of my teeth and barely made the deadline....(I just pulled my paperwork out of the file to confirm the date) The paperwork that I have, states that applications for transitions would not be accepted after Sept. 30, 2003
Parent - By 1316 (**) Date 01-13-2007 17:40
jw,
There was a grandfather clause when ASNT initated the ACCP program where you could grandfather into ut,mt,pt and soforth if you had documented proof of training and were currently a level II through your third party level III.  That ended around the time your talking about.  However you can still get your ACCP II in VT (general industry) if you are currently holding a CWI cert (for a nominal fee of course).  That cert however is contingant with maintaining your CWI and expires at the same time as your CWI.  You can still also recieve your pressure equipment and remote veiwing endorsements if you have a level III or a authorized inspector sign of on it.  The forms and a more indepth definition of the rules can be found on ASNTs web site under certification and ACCP II.
Parent - - By mrwelder (*) Date 01-13-2007 23:16
hey Stallsmith email me
Parent - - By mrwelder (*) Date 01-13-2007 23:16
Do you have an email?
Parent - By Stallsmith (*) Date 01-16-2007 00:07
Yes it is jstallsm@access.k12.wv.us
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT level 1