Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fcaw an mig?
- - By monsoon12 (**) Date 01-13-2007 22:48
For years i have welded with flux core an mig.I recently went back to welding class an found that theses processes could be done pretty much in all positions.I always thought it was basically set up for the flat position.I gave it a shot vertically an must say it is not easy.I didnt even dare try any overhead.My question would be that any inside tips i would be thankful for.The wire i used on the vert was .035 bare wire er70s-6.The plate was 3/8 mild steel t joint about 10 inches long.Thanks for any insight,
   monsoon
Parent - - By tsalagi (*) Date 01-13-2007 23:11
you said that you ran it vertical. what were you running vertical? mig or flux? uphill or downhill?

try running the mig downhill and the flux uphill.

the best i can say is practice youre 6G with a mig root and hotpass and flux fill and cap, this will pretty much give you all of your positions.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-14-2007 01:42
Yeah, try running the mig downhill. Turn your heat down.
Parent - By monsoon12 (**) Date 01-14-2007 03:26
tsalagi for welding the 6G would you run a downhand or up.I mean i know the pipe is at a 45.Ive done the 6G with stick but never with mig or flux for that matter.Is it normal pratice to do such welding with mig or flux?I mean ive always welded with theses processes in the flat position.If it is common practice it something i would love to learn.I do some downhand from time to time with mig.Mostly on cap plates an butt joints on pour stops.Also i ran the bare wire mig vertical(uphill)It took a couple of passes to get it to look good though.
monsoon
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-14-2007 03:22
I recommend you break test your welds and closely examine the fracture to see if you are getting root penetration, and fusion past the mill scale into the base metal.
Parent - By tsalagi (*) Date 01-14-2007 07:10
turn your amps to around 130 to 140 and run the root pass downhill. turn the amps up a bit and run the hot pass downhill also. alot like any open root joint. be sure to feather the tacks real good. turn the flux down a bit also, because if you run it too hot gravity will not be your friend. run the flux uphill with sringers untill you are done.

i don't think that it is a common practice since most shops have pinwheels. unless the shop only welds stuff in position. i do know that it is a common test. the test is usualy on at least sch 80 pipe and is normally a bend test.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-14-2007 13:02 Edited 01-14-2007 13:05
Running Vertical   or 6-G welds is common for both FCAW and GMAW...

Vert open roots are common for GMAW short circuit.

GMAW with short circuit transfer can be run Vert up or Vert down depending on procedure requirements.

FCAW must be run with an upward progression with Vertical welds are required.

But here is the important part of the post... Vert parameters are much tighter than flat and horizontal. Amperage, voltage and stickout must be exactly correct and consistant.

Vert parameters with FCAW will be so tight in fact that you often have to change parameters to weld with two FCAW electrodes with the same AWS designation made by different manufacturers.

Here is a link to an excellent example of a manufacturer parameter sheet for FCAW
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/datasheets/Excel_Arc71.pdf

Note that it gives parameter ranges for:
   Different wire diameters
   Different positions
   Different shield gasses

For welding a continuous pass (180 degrees) on 6-G pipe with FCAW I would recommend the lower parameter Vert range given by the manufacturer. Doing this will allow consistant welding in all positions. Once you have the parameters down its only a matter of keeping the gun angles proper for the whole run.

Let us know how it comes out for you.
Parent - - By monsoon12 (**) Date 01-14-2007 15:28
Thanks to everyone one whos helped me with this post.First chance i get to try things out ill let you guys know how i made out.Thanks again
monsoon
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 01-14-2007 17:03
A bit off subject here,but,isnt "downhand" welding in the ,the act of running your bead in the oposite direction of the 1st bead you've laid down?As opposed to vert "downhill"? Or am I mistaken??As for the vertical with mig,I always run it downhill and run in and out of the puddle quickly kinda like 6010.Note: I am only advising this as would be used by a non-critical application.I think it's great,but always follow your print if working to one.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-15-2007 00:58
Weld on the lower side of the settings for the size wire you are using. A fillet weld in the vertical position for material of this thickness should be done uphill in my opinion. When I weld, I weave very rapidly side to side with noticable pause on the sides. This is NOT a big weave bead. Make sure the arc is melting the base metal on the leading edge. If the bead appears to bridge across the joint near the root, turn the voltage and WFS a little.

Here is some vdeo http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/misc/GMAWUphill.htm
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fcaw an mig?