Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 2 Easy Questions...
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-14-2007 03:29
Hey Gents,
Since I have 2 questions unrelated, I thought I'd post them here as this is the most widely viewed section.

1.)  I am looking for 4-6 empty 4" plastic wire spools. I built a spool winder last year because my boss was going to discard 2- 33# spools of 70S6/ .023 & .030 since they were ordered mistakingly 2 years ago and been sitting on a shelf sealed and unopened. We only use .035. He was going to give them to the scrap guy till someone mentioned I may have a fit if he did so without checking with me. Anyway, I got them and been winding the 4" empty plastic spools so I can do a quick change when needed. I need some more empty spools if anyone has any.

2.) Is there such a product as nozzle gel that is made for aluminum MIG welding? I know aluminum is its own world and is quite finicky regarding cleanliness.

Thanks....Denny
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 01-14-2007 15:55
Denny,

please let me only try to response your second query - although you would get the spools from me if I would have get some and would be living in the United States of America.

Firstly I would like to recommend to you to avoid any kind of anti-spatter-agents or nozzle-gels or whatever for using it in aluminum-welding.

The problems you would get, would outnumber the "benefits" you would suppose being perhaps achieveable.

Without going into details - I am sure there will be much more colleagues in the forum with large experience and thus wanting to share this with you - cleanliness is one of the very most important factors for sound aluminum-arc-welding. So please do yourself a favor and keep base-material, filler-material, all peripheral components and thus also the gas-nozzle clean and proper.

See also the very interesting "ALUMINUM" Q&A in Oct. 2006 Welding Journal:

http://files.aws.org/wj/2006/10/wj200610/wj1006-18.pdf

What I would be interested in, so please allow to ask you: "What is or are the reason(s) for asking about »nozzle-gel«? Maybe problems with spatter-adhesion on the gas-nozzle and/or contact-tip?"

Thank you and regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-14-2007 22:08
Hey Stephen,
I know extremely well the parameters welding aluminum and the cleanliness involved. Been doing AL for many years, and recently, our company has really taken on a lot of AL projects. My query was to try to cut down the number of times I have to stop and clean the nozzle. The AL castings I have to modify really have been coming out nicely since switching to 5356 and they tested very well in our usage.  I know the gel really helps on my steel MIG welders, and didn't know if anything for AL had been developed in a similar product. Just some curiosity. Thanks...Denny
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-15-2007 02:17
Proplem with aluminium is there are are not to many sort cut's that are benificial and why worry you get paid by the hour weather your cleaning your gun or running a bead the price should be the same. That artical that Denny mentioned was a good one.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-15-2007 07:12
Not to take anything away from what Denny mentioned or what Makithot also mentioned but, I believe the article was suggested by Stephan. Good article btw!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent...  Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-15-2007 08:32 Edited 01-15-2007 08:36
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-15-2007 17:51
Hey Henry(ssbn727),
Thanks for the info. and thanks to all who answered. I'm going to get a can of the Arcair Protex and try it. Anything is worth a try. If it works...great... if it doesn't....oh well. Thanks guys...Denny
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 01-15-2007 18:01
Denny,

great! Thank you for replying!

It's a pleasure and - of course - a honor for me, to get to know you by the way of discussing interesting welding-topics in the forum. And so... to get to know one of exactly those experts I have mentioned in my previous post, having such a huge experience to share it with the welders community!

I understand you have to clean the gas-nozzle from time to time, when using filler-wires for MIG-Welding 5xxx-base-material-alloys, at least due to Magnesium-evaporation.

But however, from my personal experience basically I can not remember to have seen nozzle-gels or similar for using it in MIG-aluminum welding here in Germany. Therefore my high esteem for what "ssbn727" has collected on information regarding different agents, also usable (so far the advertisement) for aluminum-alloys.

In Germany, in GMA-Welding aluminum-alloys, I do personally not know any fabricator using anti-spatter agents or -gels. The worry about achieving probably welding-problems like explained in the "ALUMINUM Q&A"-article - in particular - porosity, seems too large compared with any perhaps possible benefits. However, what I personally know is - mainly in the field of the Automotive Industry - a new kind of gas-nozzles. As you certainly may imagine in automated GMA-Welding applications the issue of weld-cycle-time is much more "critical", compared with manual applications. This is due to the high-volume production conditions, mainly been calculated on basis of seconds or tenth parts of a second, respectively. The cleaning-procedure of the nozzle must thus being integrated mostly within the period between a welded car-body is removed off- and a new car-body is moving into the jig. In normal cases, i.e. GMA-steel-sheet metal-welding in the car-industry, the cleaning-procedure is also a generally important issue, but there anti-spatter agents can surely be used without greater problems. But in Aluminum car-body GMA-Welding, using thin sheet metals (1.0... 3.0 mm) mainly of 6xxx-alloys, the fabricators do strictly avoid and forbid the usage of anti-spatter agents (danger of porosity, arc-perturbations etc.). Therefore these manufacturers use the above mentioned modified gas-nozzles for automated GMA-Welding their aluminum car-bodies, combined with cleaning-stations being controlled by the Programmable Logic Controller. The "trick" is, that those nozzles have a special surface coating, avoiding the adhesion of spatter. But, really important is, these nozzles should not have to be cleaned like "conventional" copper-nozzles, i.e. by using a milling cutter, due to the coating would be removed from the surface and then the positive effect of anti-spatter adhesion would be lost (no more distinctions between conventional and surface coated nozzles). For cleaning these special nozzles, the car-builders use a special rounded brush instead of a milling cutter, being implemented into the automated cleaning-station. I have spoken several times to German aluminum-car-builder welding-engineers and they told me they have achieved sustainable beneficial results in using this mentioned combination and could increase the duty-cycle of the gas-nozzles at many times compared with conventional copper-nozzles. However, as far as I know, these nozzles are not being used in manual aluminum GMA-Welding applications, even only for automated MIG-Aluminum Welding.

Regards to you and all other appreciated colleagues,
Stephan
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-15-2007 19:05
Hey Stephan,
Thanks for your input. I have recently discovered a place that may really be able to help me. They say they can set me up with a porcelain or ceramic tip that will virtually eliminate any kind of buildup or clogging of the MIG wire on the tip. I am waiting for a sample. I am very cautious with aluminum and never had any problems with our shear/bend/tensile-strength tests so far. Sometimes I have to "bark" at the boss because of his tendency to "push" the envelope and make promises we can't keep at times. He knows I am very adamant regarding my quality and work procedures.

Really glad you found this forum to your liking. The gents here are really giving with their knowledge and experience, suggestions and thoughts regarding the welding arena and it's multitude of tangent applications. Even in my 40+ years of experience and wisdom, I have learned here......Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 2 Easy Questions...