Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The automation of welding
- - By New-Welder1 (*) Date 01-16-2007 22:48
ive recently been reading about robotic/automated and orbital welders, how common are these? do many places actually use them, and over the next 20 years or so do you think this will replace the current commonly used processes?
Parent - - By welderseller (**) Date 01-17-2007 02:05
I have not seen to much orbital welding going on in my area.However, I do see more and more automated welding entering in the arena. Because of the low unemployment rate here(I think state wide we are at 2.9%) and the fact that there are not a whole lot of people applying for welding jobs, people are looking at ways to automate more of the processes in the shop where they can.What does everyone else see in their areas??
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-17-2007 15:12
We have almost 100 automated robotic welding cells.  We use them from heavy plate/ pipe all the way down to small automotive applications.  The one thing you have to think of is the level of technical expertise it takes to keep them operating at peak performance.  They do a great job, if you have great programmers!  They don't take sick or vacation days, and they are ready to work 24/7.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2007 17:31
Great Points!

My region has lots of both, and shortages for both....

Not enough skilled welders for the positions available

Automated manufacturing that suffers and sometimes dies simply because they do not manage automation well.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-17-2007 16:05
One thing for certain, automation is on the move.  It may not completely take over within the next 20 years but I can tell you in the 30 year span I've been intimate with the welding field its growth has been significant.  If you're asking because of the potential affect on your career, take heed, learn the automated processes as well as manual.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-17-2007 18:08
I think that automation has it's place, and it's growing into industries that have been using skilled welders in the past.  However, it will never take the place of a good rig welder that get's things done!
Parent - - By Surferdude (*) Date 01-18-2007 03:12
i think MDG is right, i mean auto. could nvr take over completly, for example if its outside the always changiong weather would mek it nearly impossible, plus inside if there is somethign that changes like the metal has a defect or (forgot the real name for it) if a magnetic field is created from the welding and the puddle if pulled to once side the machince wouldn't have a clue and would be usless (atleast on that piece)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-18-2007 05:01
I have been away from volume manufacturing for 16 years now, but I can give these comments: In the auto frame plant I was working in We were trying to use Hobart MotoMan robots. Bear in mind this was the late '80s, robots were pretty new and computers weren't what they are today. However the biggest problems were caused by inconsistent parts which caused varying weld gaps. The size and nature of the parts was such that they varied a bit as stamped and could be bent somewhat in handling before getting to the welding stations. At that time the solution was to fixture so that one side of the part could have a good fit up, and weld that side robotically while a person welded the other side and dealt with the variable conditions. Parts that can be made to provide a uniform fit lend themselvs to robotic welding. HOWEVER the fixturing required for any robotic aplication does have a cost, and the production volume needs to be high enough to amortise these costs. Low volume production, repair work and many aplications in  field construction don't generally lend themselves to robotic welding.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-18-2007 15:32
Dave has is right.  The robot will go to the same place +/- .005-.010 (depending on make/size/ect).  It does not matter if the part is there or not, it's going to weld where you programmed it to.  The truly best automated systems are only as good as the parts coming in and the fixtures uesed to hold them.  If the parts vary by 1/4 inch, then the weld will vary a 1/4 inch.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-19-2007 21:21
It will be a number of years before a 'take over' can happen, however; It's not just the automated welders as they are now that needs to be watched. Optical recognition systems, Mobility robotics, etc.
For instance, the most recent space probes had autonomous software written into them. The same goes for the most recent mars rover and other leading edge technologies.
(magnetic arc blow I believe is the term you were looking for surfer)

A given technology by itself does not seem to be a clear statement of it's actual potential.
It's when the technologies are combined that the first real glimpse of potential can be seen.
Optical recognition systems are currently in use now for inspections, Robots have autonomous action software in them now, Orbital welders and robotic welders
are here and working now, and other technologies. When those are combined at some point in the future, and as all techs that will, then we will see what is possible.

There will still need to be human over site in my life time, but I can see the potential for that to be unnecessary in the future.
Parent - - By New-Welder1 (*) Date 01-20-2007 02:27
thanks for the replys all, so basically it may increase but there will always be a demand for welders, I myself would personally prefer to weld and have a real craftsmanship instead of running a machine, but if learning automated welding means keeping my job then id learn to program the machines, with that thought in mind what does it take to learn to program these machines? is it something that can generally be on the job training? or does it require training in tech school? or even college? thanks on advance for any replies.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-20-2007 09:46
training is going to depend on to what level you wish to go. It can be as simple as a GUI (Graphical User Interface) program that you take a couple of weeks to learn or as complicated as base code ( Haskell FROB, C, C++ to name a few ) which can take between 2 and 5 years to learn properly per language. The sky's the limit literally when it
comes to programming machines. I will make this suggestion; unless I'm mistaken C and it's variants is the most common language out there. It's a mid level language
between machine code (binary code) and GUI such as visual basic etc. You can learn this on your own as there are copious amounts of C books and other information
out there. With the code language, you'll need networking. That's a monster in itself.
Is what your considering easy? NO. Is it worth it? For a young person it's not only worth it, but will probably be necessary before your career life is over.

You can also get a head start that's a little fun. (which is the path I chose more moons ago that I care to admit) One of my hobbies is RC vehicles. Planes, trains, boats, subs, cars, if it moves I've built it for RC.
At the lower end of this is the walmart variant RC, at the upper end is the PC sim controlled RC. build a few higher end RC's and you'll find a lot of things transfer over to
automation(servos, encoders, linear actuators etc). Skills you learn building them, will lend themselves to what you wish to do. Consider this, if you can control a remote helo in flight from your PC station/laptop complete with video and audio feed, then what limitation is there on operation of remote welding? The principals are the same. Control of X,Y,Z axis via remote manipulation. A quick search on the net will reveal many technologies that already operation various devices remotely. (You can literally turn your coffee pot on from a blackberry on your way home) As said, the sky's the limit, it's up to the individual how far they want to take it.

In saying that, don't forget that knowing how to do it manually is in my opinion absolutely necessary. There are a lot of people who can push a button, but the number of people left who can make a decent GTAW weave, or burn a 7018 rod without butchering the work piece, is getting less and less by the year and day.

If you learn both ends well, your market value will very high indeed for the foreseeable future.

Therein is my two and half cents worth on the subject. I hope this helps you.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-21-2007 05:11
I agree with CW1555 that there will be much more automated/robotic welding in the future, and that a younger person had better be at least used to the idea and willing to learn that aspect of the trade if that is where employment opportunity takes them.
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 01-21-2007 21:20
I have used orbital machines to fusion weld stainless steel tubing for over ten years. It is not rocket science, however, there is a formula to follow and even so-called "accepted" programs which have produced thousands of welds may not even be.......perfect. These type machines are used extensively in pharmaceutical and biotechnology applications. The FDA strictly regulates any products which are geared to be ingested or injected into the human body. Companies like:Wyeth, Genzyme, Astra-Zeneca, Pfizer, Smith-Kline-Glaxco (to name a few) spend millions each year to produce drugs which can help us live longer with a better quality of life. In most cases, fitters & welders put the systems that manufacture these drugs together, but orbital welding technology makes the welds.
There is a ton of paper work that goes into producing these systems such as: weld logs, coupon logs, MTR's and testing reports. Alot of money goes into engineering and designing these systems, but isn't it nice to know that the substance you are taking for whatever ailment you may have has been strictly scrutinized? American  produced drugs are probably the best in the world for that very reason.
I have used other automated welding machines which have wire feeders, but use the GTAW process and while they don't get tired................they cannot be set up and walked away from as they can & do screw up. Plus you really need to know how to weld to even run one to fine tune them, IMO.
Until they get robots which can actually "think" then I 'd have  to say you really need skilled welders and fitters to contruct anything  because it don't just put itself together. IF you weld.....your job is probably safe unless you start messing up, IMO.
Be well,

Hawk
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The automation of welding