Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grounding Welder Generator
- - By - Date 02-09-2001 02:07
I have a Miller 251nt welder/generator mounted on my field service truck, that is grounded to the truck as specified by Miller. Since I have put the welder on the truck, I have replaced the voltage regulator on the truck engine itself, 2 times. My question is, do I not have the welder grounded well enough? Should I ground it out some other way? Or, am I just having bad luck in general with the truck itself and the welder has absolutely nothing to do with it? I do not do any welding on the truck bed, because I've heard that this will cause problems. Is that an old wives tail as well or??? I'm waiting for a response from miller, but in the mean time I wonder if any of you guys would have any suggestions, input or just something you heard around the campfire that may be of help to me. Thanks.

Slagman
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 02-27-2001 14:10
Slagman: It is comman practice to do what you are doing and it does not generally cause any problems. Of cource there are always strange things that can happen. In the future try this. On the control panel is a small brass grounding stud when you weld or use the machine hook a small wire on this and hook the other end to something stuck in the ground like a fence post or just push a ground rod in if nothing else is avaliable. If some thing strange is happening this should take care of the problem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grounding Welder Generator