Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding stainless steel bolts to mild steel angle
- - By keithis39 Date 01-17-2007 08:34 Edited 01-17-2007 08:53
hi guys,
        We are about to start welding A2 stainless bolts into black iron angle. My question is which is the correct wire to use, should we use stainless wire or mild steel? does it matter? your thoughts would be apprieciated.
      The bolts are M10 and the angle is 10mm thk. would 0.8mm wire or 1.0mm wire be the most effective?
              thanks in advance.
                                  Keith
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-17-2007 10:31
In my opinion, your best bet would be to use ER309 wire, this is the most common filler metal when welding stainless to carbon.
Parent - - By keithis39 Date 01-17-2007 10:55
thanks very much for your speedy response. could i just ask, do we have to use stainless wire? would using mild steel wire be just as effective?
   Regards
         Keith
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 01-17-2007 11:02
Better to use stainless but dont put to much heat on the stainless bolts or they will draw up when they cool and you will never get a nut on them.
Parent - - By keithis39 Date 01-17-2007 11:16
thanks, you have been a great help.
     keith
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-17-2007 16:08
Because of different materials involved it is better to use the stainless filler.  Thats not to say you couldn't weld the two parts using carbon steel filler it would just be a faulty weld and would quickly rust and ultimately fail.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-18-2007 02:19
Listen to jon20013. He is right on it..

Chuck
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-18-2007 13:04
Jon / Chuck,
On a similar subject I would appreciate some advice.
A 316 threaded socket had been welded on to the outside of a 316 hydraulic oil tank (3 mm thick) using 7018s by mistake
I got called in as an independant CWI to offer advice.We agreed to take the the socket and the HAZ out with a larger hole saw and install a larger socket.
Because the tank was not subjected to any heat (so there was no expansion/contraction) and it was fully painted (2 coats of epoxy) I initially suggested that they leave the socket in because it was going to be a major drama to rectify.
I was subjected to ridicule by people with limited knowledge of welding .( I agree totally that it is bad practice but was it fit for purpose ? )
Your thoughts would be appreciated,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By CECW7611 Date 01-18-2007 14:39
i can't really offer too much except an opinion, i guess all of us do that. a rule of thumb has always weld stainless to carbon but never carbon to stainless.

in the case of your vessel, cutting the olet (socket) off was probably a good move, though i wouldn't have cut a big hole and replaced it with a bigger olet but it was probably a thin wall tank and there was no other choice. if the tank wasn't pressurized it probably would not have been a problem. although if it was subjected to vibration that could be a problem.

the main question is, was there a qualified welding procedure available for the installation? if there was and the procedure had met the requirements of the code or standard, there shouldn't have been any problem, right? show me the qualified procedure and we all walk away happy.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-18-2007 17:33
Shane, it's too bad you were subjected to ridicule.  Ultimately, I'm sure the part would have failed prematurely, although agree with your stance that it would have been fit for service, perhaps adding it's removal to some future scheduled maintenance task.  As you know, the welding of stainless with a carbon filler is a definate no-no but then again, in the limitied risk application coupled with the protective coatings, it probably would have lasted a good long time.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-19-2007 02:16
Jon, that is exactly what I was going to say, word for word...LOL..Seriously, I agree. Sometimes trying to "fix a wrong" only creates more problems. I think either way..leaving it in or replacing it was an option. In this case there is probably no definite answer.

Chuck
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-19-2007 02:37
:) Man, I must be learning something from all of your excellent responses Chuck!!  A very nice compliment coming from someone with your obvious superior knowledge of stainless steel!  I am, truly humbled!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-20-2007 01:26
STICK WELDING OR MIG IT DON'T MATTER YOU WELD STAINLESS TO CARBON WITH STAINLESS CARBON WILL HOLD IT BUT EVENTUALLY BREAKS AWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS WELD STAINLESS TO CARBON WITH STAINLESS
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding stainless steel bolts to mild steel angle