Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stainless welded to low carbon steel?
- - By monsoon12 (**) Date 01-19-2007 01:03
I have 304 stainless that i will be welding to a low carbon wide flange beam.Im going to use 308h stainless mig .Im also going to use a trimix.Ive researched it some an was wondering if im in the right direction?Any info would be helpful.An thanks in advance,
   monsoon12
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-19-2007 02:28
If you are asking for opinions, I will give mine. You are going in the right direction, but I would recommend 2 different things. First, I would use a 309LSi as the filler wire. The strength is comparable to the 308H, but the higher ferrite in the 309LSi is beneficial when welding a CS to a SS. Secondly, Tri-Mix is certainly usable (90 He 7.5 Ar 2.5 CO2) but I would recommend a 99/2 Argon/oxygen mixture. Argon is 10X heavier than helium and will give very good coverage if welding in the flat position. The 2% oxygen is only there to stabilize the arc. Either will work, but 98/2 is good and more economical. Well, that's my opinion.

Chuck
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-19-2007 02:48
Absolutely right on the button Chuck.  A very generalized rule of thumb is aways use a 309 product for dissimilar welds of austenitic stainless to low or medium carbon steels.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-19-2007 14:26
Jon, GMTA...LOL
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-19-2007 16:16
I agree that using 98/2 ArO2 is better (from a cost standpoint).  Tri-mix has it's place in some stainless to stainless applications, but Ar/O2 is always my first choice for SS to CS.  Don't throw away the extra $20 per tank for the He tri-mix to weld ss to cs.
Parent - - By monsoon12 (**) Date 01-19-2007 23:41
First i want to say thanks for all the opinions.I didnt know about the different gas mixes.It gave me something to think about.Once again thank you all.
monsoon12
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-21-2007 21:19
I also didn't know this info. What's wrong with using 75/25? Just curious.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-21-2007 22:43 Edited 01-21-2007 22:46
25% carbon is too much for MIG SS welding. Too much carbon will be introduced into the molten weld pool. I believe that the max. carbon allowed for SS filler metal is 0.45%, so the 25% in the gas can cause an increased C pick-up, even when welding CS to SS. It's just not recommended. 
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-22-2007 00:11
Hello Chuck,
A bit of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is the carbon pickup with FCAW not the same as GMAW.?
I was reading a data sheet for Shieldchrome 316LT made by BOC and it is designed for full CO2 or 75/25 gas.After reading your response above regarding carbon pick up with GMAW I became a bit confused.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-22-2007 01:25
Hi Shane,
  The difference with GMAW and FCAW is that with FCAW, each droplet is encased with the inner shielding. In other words, each droplet of the FCAW is protected by the slag from the inner shielding. Thus, protecting it from the carbon in the gas. GMAW shielding is dependent upon an inert gas for shielding, and carbon can be obsorbed in the weld pool if the carbon content of the gas is high enough. Please let me make one thing clear..the higher the heat input during GMAW welding, the higher propensity for carbon pick-up from the shielding gas. That is why FCAW is used with either straight CO2 or 75/25. To be honest, ANSI/AWS A5.22, Table 2, subsection c. states that any other medium that the electrodes are found to be suitable can be used. As far as straight CO2 and 75/25, those are the gases that are used to test the FCAW at the factory for classification tests only. That does not mean that no other gases are allowed, just what was used to classify the FCAW. Tests have shown that 75/25 gives better weld bead appearance and weldability than straight CO2, but either will work. In GMAW, anything over 3-5% CO2 should be carefully considered when using GMAW. Of course, in the spray mode of transfer there is a greater chance of carbon pick-up than in short-arc mode. One last thing, whether the FCAW is a -1 or -4, either can be used with straight CO2 or 75/25. The -1 and -4 only designates what was used at the factory to classify that particular electrode. Nothing more...

Chuck

Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-22-2007 02:58
Man, all I want to do is weld, period. You guys confuse me and make me want to go out to the shop and JUST weld.
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-22-2007 03:32
Sully,
  I took the liberty to send you the Avesta Welding Manual which will answer a lot of questions or misconceptions about welding stainless. Hope you don't mind.

Chuck
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-22-2007 03:42
Well, I sent you the Manual, but it was returned for some reason. Is that your correct e-mail address??
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-22-2007 04:18
clayjulia@aol.com   Sorry, we moved.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-22-2007 10:00
Thanks Chuck, greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stainless welded to low carbon steel?