Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D17.1 CERTIFCATION
- - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 01-19-2007 13:11
HELLO, D17.1 CODE IS NO SPECIFIC ABOUT IF IS NECCESARY TO USE WELDING FLUXES IN CERTFICATION PROCESS, THE CODE ONLY MENTIONS, HOW SHALL FLUXES BE STORED?. SO, I NEED TO KNOW IF THEY ARE NECESARY FOR CERTIFICATION AND WHAT PARAMETERS DEFINE THEIR USE?

THANK YOU
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-19-2007 20:19
If the welding procedures you are currently using were qualified using a flux than the welding procedure specifications and the welder performance qualification records must also reflect the use of the flux.

But it is difficult to tell what it is you really want to know.

You don't tell us the process,  GTAW, GMAW, SAW, Torch Braze, Furnace Braze?

You don't tell us the parent material/s.  Super alloy, Honeycomb, dissimilar alloys?

Are you trying to certify (qualify) welders?

Are you trying to qualify a procedure?

You can't possibly expect any specifics as far as answers unless you supply some some very exact data yourself
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 01-19-2007 21:19
ok, thank you

WELD PROCESS: GTAW
MATERIALS: ALUMINUM ALLOY, TITANIUM ALLOY, NICKEL ALLOY, PH STAINLESS STEEL
CERTIFY: WELDERS AND PROCEDURE

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
BASE METAL THICKNESS: 0.063 in.
POSITIONS: 1G (ALUMINUM) AND 3G (TITANIUM, NICKEL, S. STEEL)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-19-2007 22:35
The quick answer is NO! Using flux with the GTAW process is not (Key word here) NECESSARY... Nor is it a requirement to use at all times when qualifying a procedure or welders.

The only way it would be necessary to use flux is if the actual job order/ job condition requires you to qualify/ certify the welders to USE a flux... If the contract specs, and access is'nt limited to complete the joint, and the EOR does not REQUIRE you to use flux, then you DO NOT NEED TO USE FLUX when qualifying the procedure or the welders. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent...  Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 01-22-2007 14:28
hello, I have been asking and reading about WELDING TITANIUM, and I have found that welding titanium needs a special chamber to carry out the process. But, also I have found that, it is not neccesary, provided sufficient inert gas continuously and having good cleaning conditions. Could anybody help me to conclude about that?

thank you, very much
Parent - - By RD 2 Date 02-02-2007 13:01
hello,I have 17years of servise in shops doing asme api code welding smaw,gmaw,gtaw,saw,fcaw.
now i'am trying to get in aircraft welding (mil std 1595).my company won't give me credit for
the 17 years. However they will acept a cert.under mil std 1595. is there any thing i ned to know
before i go to a lab and take a test?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-02-2007 14:04 Edited 02-02-2007 15:53
Roy,

Welcome to the Forum!

One thing to know is that Mil-STD-1595A was cancelled in September 2002 and replaced with AWS D17.1

A good thing for both your employer and your testing lab to be aware of.   Not that some contracts may still stipulate 1595,  not everybody is up to date eh?

As far a welder performance qualification testing.  D17.1  will break performance tests down by alloy grouping, grooves and fillets, position, and thickness above and below 0.063, or may even be a mock up of a production componant. The system has some flexability there.

Your ASME 6G GTAW exam is much tougher than an aerospace groove or fillet performance exam. (in my opinion)

If you are allowed bring your surface prep tools... clean clean clean.  Bring some random copper cuts for heat sinks and your argon backups if you have any... They may come in handy or be better quality than the testing lab provides.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Edit:  One more thing,  If I understand your post correctly it is your employer who wants you to have this qual?  It than ought to be up to them to arrange your testing.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D17.1 CERTIFCATION