Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING PROCEDURE
- - By bhiltz (**) Date 02-09-2001 16:39
I WANT TO TAKE A FLAT WELD PLATE TEST ON PLAIN MILD STEEL 44W WITH E7018-1 X 1/8" ,JOINT DESIGN DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THERE IS A WELDING PROCEDURE AVAILABLE OR THE INFORMATION TO FILL OUT THE FORM I HAVE (QW-482, #E-00006) PERTAINING TO SECTION IX,ASME BOILER AND PRESSURE VESSEL CODE. OR AM I GOING TO HAVE TO PAY SOMEONE TO DO THIS FOR ME?
Parent - - By stringer_2000 (*) Date 02-10-2001 11:38
Depends on if you are working to ASME IX, then yes, you need to perform a PQR. If it is structural and you can use AWS, they have pre-qualified welding procedures and joint designs you can use.
Parent - By bhiltz (**) Date 02-10-2001 12:10
Do you know where i could get a copy of the pre-qualified procedures?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-10-2001 13:50
I believe ASME also allows use of Standard WPS's. This is one of the changes to 1998 ASME sec IX. Or at least thats the first time I have seen it. Most of the common processes/materials Standard WPS's are available from AWS.

The information to fill out the form if you qualify your own procedure comes from the essential and non-essential variables that are listed in QW 253. There are a total of 27 or 28 process variables that must be addressed and recorded on the procedure qualification record (PQR) for SMAW. Based on the ranges of these actual variables on the PQR and the allowed changes from those parameters, you then can fill out the welding procedure specification.

If you don't have an ASME SEC IX available I suggest getting one if you intend to Qualify Procedures and Welders.

If you would like help with this I would be glad to go through it step by step on this forum and we could start at the beginning with deciding what you want your proceudure to be used for. If so let me know. Others on this forum could maybe learn from it and others could watch for any mistakes I can and do make. Again I suggest you obtain a 1998 ASME Sec IX or later.

If you are wanting to perform welding with a procedure in accordance with AWS D1.1 the prequalified procedure is the way to go. As before you must work within ranges allowed by the code and fill out the procedure according to the requirements of the code.

Gerald Austin
Welding Related Software at under development at http://www.geocities.com/pipewelder_1999/
Parent - - By peabody (**) Date 02-13-2001 19:45
[deleted]
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-14-2001 04:31
A00 page 1 QW 100.1. 10th line down "..., or it shall be an AWS Standard Welding Procedure Specification (SWPS) listed in appendix E and adopted by article V."

The A00 represents the year 2000 addendum. (Blue pages that are sometimes left in the plastic wrapper and thrown away when the next code comes out)

If this is still incorrect, please let me know.

Please let me know if there is any other questionable material in my previous response, just in case I might have written something that was based on something I once was knowledgeable about but failed to keep "Up to date" on.

Gerald Austin
"Low Level" Welding software under development at http://www.geocities.com/pipewelder_1999

Note: I believe that In addition to the ASME addenda, the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors Code NBIC has allowed the use of Standard WPS for a few years more than ASME. I don't have a current NBIC and I haven't read one for a few years. Maybe someone could let me know if thats still the case.

Parent - By jl Date 02-14-2001 17:16
on the money. check your e-mail for the letter I wrote you about the article from NBIC. I believed it referenced an area in QW-510 about the manufacturer "welding a test coupon" before using the SWPS. If impact testing is required by construction code then the SWPS is not permitted.
More people should read the addendum when they insert them
Parent - - By peabody (**) Date 02-17-2001 18:30
[deleted]
Parent - By wighog (*) Date 02-25-2001 14:54
I see, please keep up to DATE.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-14-2001 04:50
If the Standard WPS is not the choice then it is also V E R Y simple to qualify your own Carbon Steel welding procedure specification to ASME Sec IX by testing.

Besides the welding and machining, the only costs are paying a lab to perform the reduced section tensile specimens. The reduced section tensile specimens are best prepared by a machine shop using the guidlines contained in ASME Sec IX QW 462.1. It has been my experience that machine shops provide the machine work at a much more reasonable cost that the "Testing Labs".

The only information you need from a testing lab is a report of the mechanical test results. The guided bend tests should be done first just in case they fail. There is no need to pay a testing lab to fill out your PQR, WPS or any other paperwork. All you need is the test results.

As I said before. Get a Sec IX.

Maybe find a CWI thats a welder (Not NDT), pay him a good hourly rate for short term employment and he might help you out.

Gerald Austin :) under developed at http://www.geocities.com/pipewelder_1999

Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-18-2001 03:41
[deleted]
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING PROCEDURE