Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / prequalification of WPS.....
- - By JA (**) Date 01-22-2007 02:15
what does it mean " all prequalified WPS's shall be written"..........?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2007 12:30
JA,
You still need to write the welding procedure(WPS), but if you meet all of the essential variables to remain prequalified, you won't have to test your procedure(w/ a PQR). This saves time and money, but the WPS still needs to be written and filled out, giving the welder instructions on how to prepare the joint, what welding process to use, what parameters to set his/her machine to...etc...
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 01-22-2007 13:56
jonh , i don't want to sound stupid , but  am still not getting it.....???

oh , by the way , i e-mailed you about  flame straightening beams....it came back.....i'll try again.......thank you....
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 01-22-2007 15:22
JA,

I (or others on the forum) could write dissertations about welding procedures but we should not have to do that. Mr. Wright's response seemed complete and appropriate.

Exactly what are you confused with. Please be specific.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2007 15:23
Let's start here first....

Is there a specific prequalified joint detail in Section 3 that you need to weld?
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 01-23-2007 03:57
i'm a welder , i show up to the job , and weld............whos doing all this writing.........?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-23-2007 04:22 Edited 01-23-2007 04:28
JA

Are you following any directions on this job you show up at to weld?

When you show up at this job, do you select the electrode or does somebody else?  Are the directions written or verbal.

When you set up your welding machine how do you determine the polarity? Trial and error?  Guess?  Verbal instructions or written?

Shield Gas......  same questions.

The point that is trying to be made is that there shall (shall means mandatory) be *written* directions (written directions mean a WPS) for you if you are doing code work. The welder shall have access to the procedure.

You may have a pocket full of certs.  They mean nothing at all on the job you show up at, if you are not working to a written procedure.

Pre-qualified simply means (as stated above) that that the WPS (welding procedure specification) does not need to be qualified by testing... The welder however must still prove he/she can perform the procedure by passing a welder performance qualification test and have it noted in a report (WPQR)
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-23-2007 12:39
Once again my compliments, Lawrence.  Simply stated, and nice job of listing the questions and missing details.  If the welder is working as a subcontractor he may or may not ever see a WPS... that's the sad reality.  Although WPS' are required by virtually all codes I know of, it's my opinion that very few welders actually use them as they are intended.  Only in instances where there is some type of enforcment (Inspection or Engineering) would it be fairly common to see WPS' used routinely.  Even at that, my guess is few welders REALLY know how to read them.  This isn't intended as an insult to anyone, just the sad facts as I see them.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 01-24-2007 13:14
i do have alot of certs in my pocket.......L.A. city D1.1 thru D1.5........when i show up to work , i get that days job task......if i'm going to weld a column to a base plate , i look at the plan,,,,,, the material being used,,,,,weld size ,ect......or maybe i'll spot decking down all day,,,,,,and sure , the welding inspector will sooner or later work his way over and want to know how hot things are,,,,,,he looks down to see a 1/8th 6010 in my stinger and moves on.....maybe a heavy splice of some sort , with preheat and interpass temps,,,,,,rod size,,,,,,current,,,root pass thickness,,,,,,welding direction,,,,vert up/down,,,,ect.....all the "how too's".....these are all mandatory to hold the job title certified welder L.A. city D1.1 .........all this info is a must,,,,or down the road you go........no one "tells me" how to do these different work assignments,,,its my responsibility.....it all comes from the welding codes,,,,,in which i'm expected to know in order to preform......... then theres the famous "engineer overide".......like last week,,,,,,,he blew off the preheat when welding the saftey cable tab to the column........its 30 degrees , and 2 inches thick,,,,,D1.1 says preheat,,,,,,the engineer says "dont worry about it"......whats that all about.....?
All these WPS's are all ready "written"......right there in sec 3........
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-24-2007 16:26
Two things troubble me about your response.  1) Welding to D1.1 and you are told by the "Engineer" to not worry about pre-heat when it's 30 degrees.  Unless you have it in writing from him that he takes the blame, you are responsable for doing the work right.  If it fails and someone gets hurt, you are at fault.  2)  sec 3 does not have a "written" WPS in it.  It just gives the guidlines for how to make the WPS.  You can't look into a code book and have it tell you the volts/amps/gas type/welding speed/ torch angle/ and so on.  Sec. 3 does not do this, nor does any other code I've worked with.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2007 17:27 Edited 01-24-2007 17:37
Being certified to the Los Angles City Code:
http://www.lacity.org/LADBS/faq/info%20bulletins/building%20code/IB-P-BC%202002-045-Welder-Certification-rev-12-14-02.pdf
Does not give a welder authority to make process, electrode, gas or any other "how to" decision after simply  "having a look at the plans"

I suppose if there are no Welding Procedures on site than an inspector might just glance at the electrode and keep going. But that is not a very confidence inspiring description of quality control in building erection. (I understand that sometimes this happens in the real world, but our conversation here in the forum  is foucsed on the right way to do things)

Those theoretical exam questions for the L.A. city welder certification are supposed to insure that a welder can follow written directions and understand welding details, not to somehow prove they are qualified to  make process decisions.

The purpose of Section 3 of D1.1 is not to provide  a catalog of individual WPS's, there are no actual welding procedure specifications contained in D1.1 except a few example pages. (See Section 3 Scope) The purpose of Section 3 is to exempt certain WPS from qualification testing requirements of section 4.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-24-2007 17:45
This thread has some pretty scary stuff in it....
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 01-25-2007 05:03
Lawrence , i'm not trying to argue with you,,,,,,,i know there are WPS's behind everything,,,,,i'm familiar with them,,,,,and used them before,,,,,,but only in shop work.......
what i do theses days is mostly standard practice,,,,,,,,,i'll take one of the least as an example.......decking,,,,,,there is pretty much only one way to spot decking down the "right way"......the AISC , and the AWS have already figured it out , and all this correct info goes into WPS's.......i know this process........and i'm sure there is a WPS some where on that process , but i'm going to go hunt it down,,,,,,if my forman asked me what i was doing , and i told him i need the WPS on these spot welds , he'd tell me 2 things , 1- stop F ***ing with me , and 2-start welding.....all the the info i need for that particular type job is right there in the plan......size , and location....thats it.........and "if" things have changed with that particular WPS , then it will be brought to my attention.......heres another one , my buddys house down the street , i show up to weld a few funky saddles for some floor joist , and a couple of base plates...."all to code" , and i give the inspector my paperwork , go to the plan , a couple 1/4 inch fillet welds here , and a few 3/16th inch fillets over there , and thats about it,,,,,no WPS..........???
i never said that passing the L.A. city exam makes me the Sh*t , but what i do is expected......and it all comes from the codes.........
beam to column connection,,,,,t-1 is 1/2 inch thick , t-2 is 1 1/2 inch thick , i don't use a WPS to tell me how much preheat.........or my max electrode size/type , to weld up or down....SMAW or FCAW........?   it all comes from the codes , and isn't that  where the WPS's come from....?

the welding inspector has seen me do this over and over....thats right , he just walks by........thats all he needs to see , and i know "you" know what i'm talking about......

as far as Mdg custom welds responce.......well , you don't tell the "Engineer" anything......if he makes the call to blow-off the pre-heat on the saftey cable tab , then thats what you do.....even if the knucklehead has never run a bead in his life....he can do that......it dosen't fall on "me" , it falls on "him".....he is the one that tells the inspector and contractor to tell me to just weld them on and don't worry about it ,,,,then theres the time they had me tack weld all the 90 dregee intersects on all this no.9 bar (60 grade) in this structural footing.. (to make it easier and so they hold up when lifting them into place)....i think that guy had his secretary sitting on his lap when he made that call...and i'm sure its being noted some where......thats not my concern , its not my place.....or am i supposed to "STOP EVERYTHING" and call him on his judgement call......ya , right......
and you'll find that in D1.1 also... its everywhere......( and believe me , i think thats wrong )..........

i understand what it means to come up with a design . come up with a WPS (from the code books) , that will passed a test of some sort , and go with it.....but the've already done that , in every possible joint imaginable.......

this is getting too deep , way back then , all i asked was what they mean when they say , "all WPS's shall be written".........

and dont take me the wrong way,,,i appreciate all your input,,,all of you...........thank you.....
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-25-2007 05:37 Edited 01-25-2007 05:59
If I were new to this site... I'd say to myself "what a bunch of such and such, such and such, unfriendly people we have here!!!" I would probably not return here after some of the responses that JA got here in this thread! Then again, that's just my opinion - Fart!!! Yeah - we all got them!!!

I'd have to agree with JA that we're all getting too deep here... At least deep enough where in a pictorial analogy, the diver below is trying to communicate with the "big fish" but, the "big fish" is flooding his tubes and getting ready for a snapshot!!! Hmmm strange how pictures can be used in many ways - Capish???

Yikes!!! who is that man??? Oh yeah - now I remember why I picked this pic... Being that it's self explanatory and all, I believe it expressed my sentiments at the time I read some of the responses towards JA's question... Oh well, I might've overreacted a bit so I apologize!!!

See!!! That's not very hard to do especially if you're sincere about it!!! Here's a better one in that I'm showing off how nice I can be visually!

Btw, Kudos for John Wright in trying to help this individual out with his question!
We appreciate your participation there JA!!! Weldcome to the AWS Forum!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 01-25-2007 08:15
so your the famous "submariner"........well Henry , i was in the navy also , and i know your type.........very smart guys.......

and i'm also from Pittsburgh......and all the steel mills are dead,,,,cobwebed and rusted up.......what a bummer........

cold yet.....?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-25-2007 16:59 Edited 02-01-2007 08:40
Hi JA

First off, I'm not from "The Burgh" even though I've been living here for the past twelve years but, I do love this City and it's surrounding areas, so thanks for the compliment!!! I'm originally from NYC... The lower East Side in particular is where I was born... Started out as a Shipyard Boilermaker at local 614 fresh out of the Navy up in "rotten" Groton, CT. Then worked with local 5 all over the NYC Metro area until work dried up and ended up hitting the road with the NTL... I also worked with Locals 40, 361 & 580 of the Ornamental Ironworkers on many projects before I had no choice of leaving a teaching job in Linden, New Jersey after spending my nest egg going back & forth every two months for two years, but to move to Pittsburgh while waiting for my liver transplant which I recieved by the grace of God on 10/08/1997.

Not every steel mill is cobwebbed, and the ones that were rusted up were taken down a few years ago so the city you once knew looks alot different nowadays... One can no longer call Pittsburgh:"Hell with the lid off!" like they once used to describe it as such... I do'nt know if you've been back but, I'll telll you one thing that's a fact for me at least... Every time I go back to the greater New York Metropolitan area, I find the air dirtier than when I arrive back in the "Burgh"!!! Ironic is'nt it??? Get it??? I currently live in Robinson township, where did you live?

It's starting to get where I've gotta start wearing a sweater and a coat over it but, nowhere near the cold weather I've experienced when "topside" at the polar ice cap!!! Now that place can get real cold!!!

Anywho, Nice to meet ya online and once again, Weldcome!!!
Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2007 17:55
In D1.1 there is a list of a few items that "at a minimum" need to be addressed in the written WPS, I've included a copy of Annex Q which has these items listed along with the appropriate references. As the others have stated, all of the welding parameters need to be spelled out for each pass or layer of weld metal that needs to be deposited. Include the welding processes to be used, electrode diameters to be used, a defined range of amps and voltage, along with travel speeds. For example....If the root requires GTAW, and then all subsequent passes or layers SMAW w/ 1/8" E7018...then you have to spell all of this out in a written form.....examples of this for are in Annex N for you to use or to use as an example to make your own form. Hope this helps get you started writing your own WPSs.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2007 19:37
My spam filter must have kicked it out...I never saw anything...please send it again or give me your email addy and I'll send the info I have about the flame straightening...it's a pdf file
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 01-25-2007 07:35
yes John , my e-mail is ja42859@yahoo.com...................thank you......
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2007 11:52
The file is 2.8megs, so if you see an email with an attachment of that size...it's from me :-)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-26-2007 00:39
John, I sent you two e-mails through this site earlier this week, I was wondering if you got them,  Thanks Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-26-2007 00:54
Chris...I'm not sure...I haven't seen anything...did you use "jwright650 @ aol.com" <-don't use the spaces...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-31-2007 17:46
I didn't read this thread in its entirety. I just skimmed it rather quckly. So forgive me if I'm really missing the point. But if I may, it may not be as bad as some of it sounds. The idea that a WPS determines the parameters by which a welder performs his task is only half right. It is sort of putting the cart before the horse. Stable (help me here-I actually cannot visualize if this is the correct spelling-I ain't talkin bout horses) parameters in a qualification determine the WPS range. Therefore, the WPS is in reality more of a reminder than a determiner. Whereas a violation of the WPS is certainly a serious matter in need of addressing, and some minimum standard has to be maintained, it has always been my opinion that the 7%/10% range is unnecessarily restrictive (see ASME) and that stable parameters can be found outside these ranges. Given an experienced welder, and this is critical, stable parameters as he sees them through the hood will, if not dead on, find their way certainly within a range of metallurgical and mechanical acceptibility.
Also, this path of thinking translates well into arguments based upon the necesity of calibration. Or in other words, if the arc and puddle are smooth as silk does it matter if the machine says 200 or 180? Don't misunderstand,this is not an advocation of willy nilly QC, just perhaps a smidgen of a common sense and ASME incubated perspective.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-31-2007 22:58
Couldn't you have an arc and puddle smooth as silk and still have poor fusion?

Hg
Parent - - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-01-2007 14:36
Yes this is correct.  I believe that the WPS is very important to follow.  If written correctly it is your recipe for a good weld. 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-01-2007 16:28
The point was not to disparage the importance of a WPS-they are absolutely indespensible-but to keep in mind that millions of bad welds are made every year following WPS's. As critical or indespensible as a WPS may be, and they are, a welders talent and ability are even more so. That is the point. I guess a point can be made that, though I certainly am NOT advocating the viloation of a WPS (in fact it is my job to make sure my guys don't do that), I have to admit that deep down inside I ultimately would have more faith in a top notch welder who may operate outside the parameters of a formal WPS (say at an 11% current variation) than a slug operating within them.
Parent - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-01-2007 17:22
I understand your point of view completly and can relate.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / prequalification of WPS.....