Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / -36 degrees
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-22-2007 04:22 Edited 01-22-2007 04:28
Let's hear some cold weather stories!

Over 900ft of production, (2") line welded up in 2 days, north of Wamsutter, Wyoming - negative 36, without wind chill!

"Alaskan Assassin"

ps. I drive a Chevy and weld with a Lincoln. Remember : If your "strokin" or "cummin", you must be hard as a rock! CHEVROLET!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-22-2007 14:44
You bowtie guys are always trying to get blue oval people in an uproar! 
I'll keep strokin till it can't keep it goin!

Anyhow, that's darn cold no matter what equipment you roll with!!

Last week we were out on a hoe boom repair, 28 degrees f, but raining so hard, everyting was covered with 1/4" of ice.  Everything had to be chipped away and heated twice as much as normal just to keep the ice rain off.  It took 4 hours to do 1 1/2 hours of work.  Then, the 1 hour ride back to the shop, the whole rig looked like it was in a freezer for a month.  Took 3 more hours to get everything thawed and dried out.  Nothing like a whole day's work wasted on one job.  Can't pay the bills that way!!
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 01-23-2007 14:16
my cold weather story-
A few years back I was working in the town of Dawson in the Yukon of Canada.  Two days it got down to neg 62f.  (air temp. with no wind chill).  Work was on a large Cat gen set inside an uninsulated, unheated building.  Tiny ice crystals hung in the air like fog.  Our service trucks had engine block heaters, transmisson pan heaters, & electric battery blankets.  In town the motel had parking meters have built in 110v. outlets for plugging in overnight.  The trucks without synthetic lube in the rear end were failing because the 90wt. lube froze, and the ring gear just cut a path through the frozen waxy block.  The days it got up to -40f seemed considerably warmer!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-23-2007 15:08
Brrrr!
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-23-2007 16:13
Jon, you got it right!!  BURRRRRRRR

Bill, what were you doing, welding, or mechanical work?
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-23-2007 18:00
It was mechanical, (fortunately not welding).
I was evaluating a crack-like florescent mag particle indication found during a PMI crankshaft inspection.  We ended up polishing a connecting rod journal.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-26-2007 00:27
BUNNY BOOTS! Every one around here laughs at my airborn mickey boots.

When I was 10 my uncle and I fell through a creek while snowmobiling on our trapline. Though only a mile form the cabin we got socked in by an ice storm.

Long story short: He has no toes, I have all mine. He was wearing Sorrells, I was wearing airborn, "bunny", boots. . . .
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 01-27-2007 01:44
Broughton island, Nunavut cdn 230 miles above the artic circle  piss was freezing before it hit the ground -56. Great snow mobile country.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / -36 degrees