Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Multiple pre-qualified joints
- - By WMay Date 01-23-2007 21:31
May more than one pre-qualified joint be listed on a single pre-qualified WPS?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-23-2007 21:51
I suppose, but why? It might be very confusing for the welder who is trying to use it.
Parent - - By WMay Date 01-23-2007 22:18
I agree that it would be confusing to the welder and everyone else. I am reviewing Subcontractor's WPS. In order to reject the WPS I need somthing to quote from the code(D1.1) to prohibit this. To my dismay I have only found para. 3.6.1 which allows combination of qualified and prequalified WPS, but dosent specifically address joints.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-23-2007 23:15
I don't think you can reject a wps for that reason alone via the code.

AWS sells SWPS with multiple joint configurations, and some SWPS even stipulate that any prequalified joint may also be used as long as all other variables stay within bounds.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-27-2007 04:51
I think whether or not multiple joints are advisable on the WPS would depend on how the welders are trained, and how the shop in question prepares their drawings.  As long as they have a system so that the welder can make the appropriate joint, it shouldn't be a problem.  Code wise, the WPS can satisfy D1.1 with one or multiple joints listed on the WPS or even just a reference to another applicalbe joint document.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Multiple pre-qualified joints