Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flame Cutting of Bar Grating
- - By welderseller (**) Date 01-25-2007 00:46
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a CNC flame cut machine that can cut bar grating (steel)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-25-2007 02:04
Hello welderseller, I know that you asked about a flame cutting machine. Is there a specific reason why it has to be a flame cutting machine as opposed to a plasma unit? There are a number of the plasma units that have interrupted cut options to keep the arc from extinguishing, couldn't one of these be used? I've got a Hypertherm Powermax 600 that has this feature and I believe that the ESAB units also have a similar feature. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By welderseller (**) Date 01-25-2007 03:36
The material is bar grating. The dimensions are 3' X 20'. The individual grating itself is 1 1/8" -hieght , 1/4" material spaced about 1 1/2" apart. I have tried with a plasma to no avail. Someone told me that they thought Esab made a gantry type CNC flame cut system, but I could not find it on the website. I have sent them an inquiry and am waiting to hear back.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 01-25-2007 03:53
have you tried a rotary carbide blade cold cut saw( metal skillsaw). it is amazingly fast and accurate for the straight cuts at least. I'm sure if your looking for cnc you have already tried such rudimentry techniques but in the mean time it will definatley speed things up in the right hands. just a thought
darren
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-25-2007 03:56
Couldn't You put a 1 1/4" or greater capacity plasma machine torch on any CNC [flame or plasma] cutter? I would tink the flame process would be a problem with each bar requiring a new start. I have seen advertising for the plasma cutters that have the feature for expanded metal, but no experience with them.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-25-2007 04:05
Hello again welderseller, obviously the thickness of the bars and the depth are the main issue here. Are you finding that the plasma stream doesn't have sufficient focus and power to complete the cut through each of the grate bars? or is this more a matter of the interrupted cut causing an outage of the arc? Would a more powerful power source deal with the 1 1/8" depth issue? The problem I could forsee with the flame cut unit would be one of requiring a dwell time each time the flame came into contact with one of the bars in order to cut it as well. It could be a programming nightmare. One other possibility that I could possibly see could be dealt with by using one of the tables that has a rotary head for the cutting platform(one that I can recall seeing like this was built by ESAB). In this instance, the cutting head portion of the table has an angular and rotary function incorporated into it. The head could be programmed to angle cut instead of straight cut the bars(meaning as it approached the bar to make the cut it would start the cut on the top edge and as the cut progressed it would allow for the cut to extend through to the bottom of the bar) and when a corner was encountered for a change in direction, it could be programmed to rotate to maintain the angular cut. I would still suggest a plasma power source over a flame cutting unit. Some thoughts to consider for you. Good luck on this and I would like to hear how you end up resolving it. Regards, aevald
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-25-2007 05:03
Have you tried looking into water-jet cutting mounted on a CNC system?
I know that pricing has come down substantially but, I do'nt know what your budget constraints may be so, just a thought!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2007 12:23
Tilt the cutting torch head at a slight angle...this helps with getting started on each bar, and you don't need the extra power that you would to cut 1 1/4" thick materials....
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 01-25-2007 17:58
We use a friction saw.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-25-2007 22:23
A sacrificial piece of steel on top of the bar grate might help keep the flame cut going.
Bill
Parent - By welderseller (**) Date 01-26-2007 00:30
I have a Koike Aronson rep coming to visit here shortly. He thinks that they have a CNC cutting table that can do it. I will let you know how it goes. Does anyone else out there cut large quantities of grating? Bandsaws and friction saws are the way it is done now. Just looking to see if there are other alternatives.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flame Cutting of Bar Grating