Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In-House Training
- - By Southpaw (*) Date 01-26-2007 03:38
I'm in the last class for completing an associate's degree in welding technology. This is an English class and one of the requirements is that I write a technical report. My report of course would be on welding. Have been in the welding field about 30 years with a CWI\CWE certification and a UT level 2. Working for a fairly large company building sheet steel bodies that go on utility trucks. Our plant is located in a small county just outside a small town. I work as a Quality Technician with the primary job of training welders to our main process which is GMAW. The reason for this is that there is no pool of welders in the area at all.  The plant is only a year old. I have set up a very nice weld training center to do in-plant weld training. I have said all of this to bring me to the thought of writing my report on in-house weld training and the success that we have achieved from this. Without having to put out a survey my hope is that I might get a response from some of you. My question is in that if I write this report would there be an interest in the weld industry for a person, let say a fabrication Management who might be in the same boat that I'm in, that would pick up and read a how-to journal on this subject. I know of another plant that faces the same problems that I have encountered, are there a lot more out there etc.? If you have any incite on this mater or just an opinion I would very much like to here from you. Thanks.                     
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-26-2007 12:45
Why not write what you've done and submit it to the Welding Journal for publication?  How cool would that be to see your final report published in the worlds premier welding magazine?  If you need some advice or contacts within AWS I can help as I'm sure several others who are published authors might.
Parent - - By Southpaw (*) Date 01-26-2007 19:24
Thanks so much Jon
The idea of something like that happening is far outside anything that I would dream. However, the teacher that I have has had a couple of students that have received national recognition for their journal work. The thought of discussing this with the teacher is appealing.    
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-26-2007 21:22
If you're willing to write a good article I will help you contact the right people within the Welding Journal to at least be considered for publication.  These are just the types of things the Welding Journal is looking for!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-27-2007 12:10
I agree Jon....Mary Johnsen is always looking for fresh ideas for the Inspection Trends publication, I'm sure the same can be said for the Welding Journal. She also wants to do profiles on people in the working world, sound like a great candidate right there :-) .
Parent - - By tsalagi (*) Date 01-27-2007 12:35
i think it is a good idea. i personally would like to know how it works from all points of view, trainers, trainee, and corporate. just to have some good reading.
i do believe that american buisnesses are doing this sort of thing more and more. if you can help them, god bless you.
Parent - - By Southpaw (*) Date 01-28-2007 00:16
My thanks again to jon20013, jwright650, tsalagi, who have responded. It looks as if this thing is taking on wings. Another part of the assignment is to take a survival of individuals in the related field. Would right here be a good place to post the survive questions?        
Parent - - By tsalagi (*) Date 01-28-2007 06:28
what do you mean by survival?
Parent - By Southpaw (*) Date 01-28-2007 14:51
It's a survey of questions that would be for persons with some type of welding background. The questions asked will be specific in nature to help me in writing the how to journal, "In-House Weld Training for the Industry." The survey would be about 10 questions long. Before I can post the survey it has to be edited by the teacher. I would post the survey as a new entry under, I would guess this same forum folder "General."        
Parent - - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 01-29-2007 15:17
If your looking for input from knowledgeable people in the welding industry this is the place to post your survey.  You might get more response by also posting it under the Educators, and Education forums. 
Parent - By Southpaw (*) Date 01-30-2007 01:11
Thanks Logan, I will do just that.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2007 16:58 Edited 01-29-2007 17:40
Southpaw,

I do think there would be an ongoing interest in the findings of your report for a number of reasons.

Most community and technical colleges provide entry level skills via 1 year diploma programs. Some also offer 2 year associate programs that better prepare students to be decision makers or put them on the road to engineering, management or inspection. What the schools can rarely do is meet every individual training or proficiency requirement of the industry in their region, there is just too much specialization. The higher levels of competency needed in today's manufacturing environment makes it necessary for some operations to create their own training programs. ISO 900X requirements may also drive a need for more structured recurrent employee training.

In my region, Manitowoc Crane, Bucyrus international and P&H are examples of employers that have extensive in-house training facilities and programs because of the shortage of highly skilled welders in the region/nationally. Some of the tech colleges  nearby do try to incorperate some of the things they specialize in such as large Dia. FCAW into our entry level training but its just not possible to get them totally ready for that kind of work in the time frame we currently have, although specialty "boot camps" are being delivered with a more specialized focus.

In the mid 1990s I developed an in house welder training program for United Airlines that met ISO 9001 requirements. We installed a dedicated training facility and a curriculum that was aimed to standardize our training that had in many cases been informal OJT with no real consistent or measurable outcomes. Often the quality of the training was the highest, but it still missed an auditable component.  In order to meet the needs of UAL and ISO as well as not wasting the time of some of the best welders in the world in needless training, we had to devise a plan that provided students with all the latest technology and technique, reinforce safety, give practical help to those who needed it while at the same time getting top performers back on the shop floor without taking up too much production time.

We also served to update alloy specific training for individuals who were bidding from one area to another. (Lots of different alloys as you might imagine)

We adopted an accountability format loosely based on the AWS SENSE (EG1, EG2 & EG3) models along with influence from MIL-STD 1595 and the soon to be published AWS D17.1 along with our own in house Standard practice manuals and those of GE, Pratt and CFMI.

Our training center was also targeted to serve new hires that may have tremendous GTAW skills but had never worked on very thin materials. A week or two in the training center and they could step out on the shop floor and work on very expensive equipment with little worry of scrappage. It was also a good place for welders to try out new equipment like hybrid power supplies, work with craftsmen from different departments and pick up tricks and also it was a safe place for some of our veterans to discover magnifier lenses and other ways to cheat age.

Along with the others in the forum I would encourage to approach the journal with your work. This is exactly the kind of stuff many journal readers pay their money to  get. If your work does get published it will also serve as a justification tool for others who find themselves in the same boat you were in, trying to get management to invest in in-house training. The reason I'm confident that the journal would be interested is because they were interested in what we did at UAL. They published several articles mentioning our program.. I can only find one article that gives a brief mention of the training center in 2004, a year after I left the company, the other must be so long ago that the search function won't pick it up. http://www.aws.org/w/s/wj/2004/08/028/index.html

Keep us posted and ask all the questions that come to mind, you might even contact the folks at the Journal as you begin to recieve your data so they can also encourage you and maybe even offer advice and proofing....

As an aside,  becomming a member of both your college welding department's advisory committee and your local AWS section might be a good idea. Being on your colleges advisory committee can help them to offer more relevant training that will help entry welders that graduate from that program make a smoother transition into the workforce not to mention your own companys program. AWS Section meetings are a great place for employers to meet and headhunt ambitious college students. Our section meetings are well attended by tech college students from at least 6 different programs. The cream rises to the top and this is a great method to get to meet top talent.
Parent - By Southpaw (*) Date 01-30-2007 01:18
Thanks Lawrence
All that you have brought to the table is very insightful and will be used. I have helped with teaching at a local technical college. The school is very close to me and has a large campus and a strong welding program. The problem with this is the attendance is low because welding jobs to the area are few. I also drive 45 minutes one way to my job (1 ½ round trip) each day. Most persons at the Tech. School are not willing to drive that far. There is one other Tech. School that is closer to the plant, but again the attendance there is even lower and the facilities are poor. The plant donated some welding machines and other material to help them out. The problem with the AWS Section meetings are the same with the drive, the section that I'm in is at least 2 1/2 hours away.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In-House Training