Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Refinery Welding/fitting
- - By obeamweldor Date 01-26-2007 03:57
I've just got a job as a full-time weldor/fitter with a petroleum refinery.  I'm coming from an industrial maintenance background, in mining.  I've done plenty of fab, fitting, and welding to junk metal.  Can anyone clue me in on what to expect, advice etc.?  I'd appreciate whatever input I can get!
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 01-26-2007 14:53
Try not to make it go boom!
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-27-2007 13:29
I'm sorry to tell you, George, but you should have been more respecful with obeamweldor. He's just looking for a friendly opinion.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-27-2007 14:56
Giovanni,
  I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I, personally, didn't find George's response to be offensive or disrespectful. Again, that's just me. I fully understand that obeamweldor was honestly seeking opinions on a serious topic that was important to him, but maybe Geroge didn't mean for his response to be disrespectful, but just a little lighthearted. I'm certainly not trying to disrespect you, Giovanni, but I'm only giving my take on Geroge's reply. Was it a proper answer to the post? Probably not. But, I don't think it was a disrespectful answer. Only Geroge can say whether he meant it that way. And, only obeamweldor can say whether he took it as disrespectful.

Chuck
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-26-2007 17:18
Extreme cleanliness and adherence to procedure.  They are advocates of positive material identification, complete traceability of all materials used, and have almost the highest quality expectations you will encounter (approaching those in force at nuclear facilities).

Treat everything you are assigned with a healthy dose of seriousness (it is ok to have a sense of humor as long as it doesn't reflect a cavilier attitude about your work).

Know what your certified for and don't do anything outside those limits.

That's my short list.

Charles
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-26-2007 17:40
Charles, having grown up living amid the large number of oil and gas refineries along the Texas Gulf Coast, and having worked in virtually every one of them, I very respectfully disagree with you to an extent. While most every one of them "preach" safety, it is more of a convenience thing. The first that comes to my mind is Amoco-BP refinery in Texas City. Two years ago, due to not following proper safety and plant procedures, the explosion killed 17 and injured around 50. This refinery has accidents on virtually a daily rate. They expect safety to be a priority, but getting the job done as fast as possible is No. 1 priority. My brother-in-law is a pipefitter/welder foreman out there, and it scares me at some of the horror stories he tells me.

My advice is do your job as safely as you can because your safety affects innocent lives. Know what your job is, stay within your limitations, and do it safely.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-26-2007 18:18
Charles, while I also have the greatest respect for your knowledge and experience, I'm afraid I side with Chuck on this issue.  Things SHOULD be as you stated Charles, but the truth of the matter is far too often this is not the case.  The comparison of accidents of power facilities to petroleum refineries speaks volumes.  Sad but true... get it done... is number one.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-26-2007 18:30
Interesting opinions, which I am glad to hear.  However, I only have my own experience (albeit limited) to lean on.  We are close to hooking up with a big player in the refinary world and I can tell you that quality and attention to detail are almost the only thing they have been harping on (during the past 9 months of negotiations).

I know the real world will take over when the rubber hits the road, but at least from the horses mouth, the message is quality - attention to detail - schedule adherence (but not at the expense of quality).

As a would be subcontractor, we will do our part.  It's still interesting to hear the other side of the coin from those that have been there.

Thanks.
Charles
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-26-2007 18:49
Charles, perhaps things have changed in the past few years although it is, in my experience, common to bring on the quality front in the bidding stages and, as you say, have things change quickly when the rubber hits the road.  There is an obvious need for improving quality in these facilities, no doubt on that argument!
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-29-2007 20:27
Not having been in a refinery, but having supplied lots of components for them, I can see Charles's point.  Some of the refineries are the pickiest customers out there (sometimes with good reasons, and sometimes without).  So possibly it is a "do as I say, not as I do" situation, holding thier suppilers to the highest standards, but in the field, it is another matter?
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-27-2007 17:17
obeamweldor , is that at north pole ? it helps me to know where you are at . one of the most important things i have found when working around these large facilities is to have a road map of the entire plant so when i set up i'm not in the way of other access routes . some times when you get set up all of your gear ( welding shelters heaters etc. ) can block others who may have more important access to some restricted parts of the plant , it may save you another set up in the mid welding and the aggravation of having to move during welding operations . let us know how you do , there are many of us who have worked at these in years past and still have interest in how you solve these tasks . good luck up north i'm on the kenai peninsula . willie   
Parent - By obeamweldor Date 01-29-2007 15:26
It's the North Pole refinery.  I'm looking forward to the change in atmosphere!
Parent - By aametalmaster (*) Date 01-27-2007 18:35
Good Luck. I also left a maintence welding job for a welding job in a refinery. After i passed all the BS tests i didn't want to weld in a refinery so i took an operators job. Are you going to be working in a fab shop or in the refinery itself? I have been there for 7 years and have seen alot....Bob
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-28-2007 20:34
Obeam,

I have two replies,
1. I agree with Chuck and Jon, YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY IS # ONE, like Chuck I to worked the refineries in South Texas. One was with BP and it was basicly a Cyinide factory. A by product of what we produced was Hydrogen Cyinide. There is no second chance with it. It has a 0 TLV. Meaning if you smell it your done! You better have your heart right because your standing before HIM.

2. I hope they have you in a training program, because if all you have done is "junk welding" then your not qualified to weld in a refinery. So make sure you take advantage of all training they offer.

Chuck.... STP is going to build two new Nukes on site starting in 2010. Maybe I will see you there.

Thanks
Jim Hughes
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-28-2007 22:09
Jim,
  STP in Bay City? Who is the contractor? If so, I'm sure we can meet and let Avesta buy us both a big ole Texas steak.

Chuck
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-29-2007 01:44
Did you fella's in Texas hear about the newest fire in that refinery in Texas City?
Or is that the same one that happened some time ago???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 01-29-2007 12:56
Henry, I think it's the same one. My father and kids both live in Texas City and they haven't told me of another, although they happen quite often at Amoco-BP.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-30-2007 01:01
Hey Chuck,

Yes, in Bay City.  Looks like Fluor or Bechtel.  The client we are building this coal burner for is 44% owner in STP, so I work with some of their engineers and managers. They realy don't know who the contractor is at this point, but you it has to be someone with a N Stamp.

Thanks
Jim Hughes
Parent - - By obeamweldor Date 01-29-2007 15:24 Edited 01-29-2007 20:54
Jim,
Most of my welding is on junk metal out at the mine I work in now.  I have passed several qualification tests to section IX standards though.  I am always eager to learn and improve.  Cn is one of the major chemicals used at our mine, WITH HCn being a byproduct as well.  I am well used to working with that stuff...(joy)
Parent - By Daon (*) Date 01-29-2007 21:01
Hi guys,
Having only worked as an inspector in refineries in Israel, I think the most important trait in a welder is to be able to read, understand, and follow a WPS or work instruction.
Today you have a repair on carbon steel, tomorrow on 2-1/4 chrome, and the next day on 316 SS.
You must know to preheat when necesary, prepare a weld for x-ray examination, and weld fast when shut down time is critical.
You must adhere to quality requirements for basic electrodes, and still hold the time schedule.
Quality welders are a rarity during refinery shutdowns, and I would pay highly for that "dream" welder.
Best regards to you all
C. Daon-CWI
Israel
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Refinery Welding/fitting