Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding cast iron to steel
- - By bobwiggins Date 01-27-2007 23:03
I have an old miller welder (100 amps max) that i use ocassionally. I'm not a good welder but usually get the job done. I'm currently trying to duplicate some old gates I bought at a garage sale. I got all the materals and have put the frame together and now I'm trying to attach the cast iron inserts. I have been using a 6013 rod 3/32 dia. The inserts just need to be tacked, they aren't weight supporting. Can anybody recomend what rod would work for this? A friend gave me some 7018-1 rods, and said they should do the job. The 7018s are a little bigger in dia. and I can't get the rods to arc. I turned the welder to max (100 amps) but all I get is the rod sticking. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-28-2007 01:11
7018 is hard to start.  If what you have is 1/8 inch I doubt if your machine will run it.  Get some of the nickel cast iron rods. It will say machinable cast iron in the description.  They are expensive but you won't use much. What you save in aggravation will be worth it.
Parent - By bobwiggins Date 01-28-2007 02:34
Thanks Bill, I'll look for the rods monday. Really appreciate the reply. Bob
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-28-2007 05:08
Hello bobwiggins, one other thing might be happening here, it is likely that your machine is an AC machine. Unless you have E7018 AC rod it won't run on this machine. Bill's suggestion for a nickel rod is definitely the way to go, Nickel 55 is a fairly common one and if possible you should probably try to use the 3/32" dia. ones. There are also many others that are available, if you have any connections with any welding repair shops in your area, you might check with them to see if they could spare a few rods. Possibly check with one of your area community college or vocational schools to see if they might give you a rod or two, I know many would be willing to do so. If not make a trip down to the local welding supply store and explain to them what you are trying to weld and depending on the brands that they carry you will probably end up with the correct rod for your project, don't be suprised though if the cost seems a bit outlandish. If this becomes too prohibitive cost wise, see if you can purchase a small amount of E309L stainless steel rod in the 3/32" dia. and give this a try. Good luck and let us know how things worked out. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By syda (*) Date 02-16-2007 02:25
Hellow Bob, You have to go for nickie base electrode like Eutectic 2240, Hilco pu/ni, ok 92.58. Normaly this kind rods are expensive. And you have to think of max. output of your machine and the diameter that you are expect to use too. Sydney
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-17-2007 23:11
I gave this advice earlier in the year and was chastized over it; stick the rod intentionally, then break it off after a few seconds. Keep constant pressure on it till it breaks off. When it comes loose, its ready to run. Low hydrogen, (7018) is the next best thing to bread!!

Eutectic is THE best low/hy rod.
Parent - By Smokey71 (*) Date 02-22-2007 01:23
Got a torch rig? Brazing is cheap alternative.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding cast iron to steel

Powered by mwForum 2.29.2 © 1999-2013 Markus Wichitill