Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new to the trade
- - By edubll Date 01-29-2007 01:48 Edited 01-29-2007 01:53
hi everyone, i'm new to the board and the trade. I am at a tech school now and will have my A.S. in welding at the end of the summer.  Teacher is loaded with certs and over 40 yrs. exp.    so far i have gotten 4" 6g sch 80 steel in tig and tig/ stick combo, plate certs in short circuit mig, tig and stick, 2,3,4 g qualifications, guided bend test to AWS standards. Never been in field though and just wonderin where to start, hopin to be a pipe welder but everyone want experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
Parent - - By MNSTRBLDR (**) Date 01-29-2007 13:39
edubll, where are you? Like everyone else, our company is always looking for experienced welders, especially pipe. We are located in Clinton, IA. Henry
Parent - - By edubll Date 01-29-2007 14:06
im in asheville right now,  but want to travel as soon as i graduate.  takin certification practices this semester so Charlie is makin us work on 6" sch 40 and 80, and 4" sch 80 all processes. Anything particular i should focus on, thx henry
evins
Parent - - By MNSTRBLDR (**) Date 01-30-2007 20:56
Edubll, Our pipe welders take a 1/2" plate test (7018 all the way W/backing, 2G,3G,4G), 1/2" plate (309 all the way W/backing, 2G,3G,4G), 6" sch. 40 (6010/7018 6G), 2" sch. 80 (TIG 70S2 all the way 6G), and 2" sch. 80 (309 Flux coated TIG root/309L TIG the rest 6G). Our top welders do these plus FCAW (1/2" plate 2G,3G,4G), spray GMAW (3/8" plate 2G,3G,4G), 2" sch. 80 (Hastelloy TIG 6G), 6" sch. 40 (TIG root/hot, FCAW out), and a 1/4" plate (Spray GMAW Aluminum).  Sounds like alot but we don't expect anybody to know them all off the street. We have welding classes 3 times a week and class room classes too for pipe fitting, welding and other trades. Our cost of living is reletively low, our top welders make around 20.00 an hour. If I were you, no matter where you go, I would focus on GTAW pipe (work on a good root and walking the cup) and SMAW pipe. Once you can weld pipe, everything else is gravy. Where is Ashville BTW? Hope this helps, Henry
Parent - - By edubll Date 02-01-2007 00:00
i appreciate the info henry, does sound like a lot, but i guess thats what youll pay us for so i better get to practicing. i need to practice walking the cup, i got certified free handing, but i can do it on roots and fillers, covers tough for me to walk though. Also been doing a lot of short circuit gmaw but done a little fcaw.  We got some new machines and i've been practicing pulse, salesman says new wave of pipe welding but he could have been makin a sale.  By the way ashevilles in western north carolina, really only outfit here is mb haynes so i will definitely be traveling. Thanks for all the info, gives me a better idea. Evins
Parent - - By MNSTRBLDR (**) Date 02-06-2007 13:23 Edited 02-06-2007 13:29
To practice walking the cup, start with no filler. work on getting a good pattern that is comfortable. It's all in the wrist. Here is a good video. I put more of the motion in my wrist than in this video, that keeps your elbow from swinging back and forth and running into stuff. There's more control in your wrist too. Also, on 2" pipe tests, I don't walk th cup. I brace my middle and ring finger on the pipe and alternate when one gots hot.Henry
Attachment: WalkinCup11.avi (0B)
Attachment: walkincup_21.avi (0B)
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-08-2007 05:27
I really enjoyed your video!!  If you have more please post as well.
Thank You!
Parent - By MNSTRBLDR (**) Date 02-08-2007 13:02
I think I found that on this forum actually. I've been thinking of making one for training our guys so if I do I'll definately post it. Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new to the trade