Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alumaloy
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-30-2007 01:23
Hello everyone,

I just had to post this.  I could not sleep past about 4:30 AM Sat. so I turned on the TV and there was an infomercial on about this welding product called Alumaloy. Has anybody heard of it?  Or used it?  I was amased by this stuff.  Now listen I have welded alot of Alum. in my life. I have a Miller Gold Star with everything on it. So I could weld anything.  But this stuff they were showing was increadable. You heat the metal to about 800 deg. F with a torch and just start adding this Alumaloy.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-30-2007 02:05
I have seen their commercials also.  I believe this is actually a solder material.  Very pricey too - I can tell they are proud of it.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-30-2007 05:55
I have tried a similar product at engine shows, boat shows etc. It works great for soldering up holes punched in beer cans. I got some. I never used it because I have a tig and a spool gun. It doesn't flow into a tight joint, and I dont think it will color match if anodised, I am skeptical of it's corosion resistance, especially in salt water. It is plenty strong, but has almoast no elongagation, so it won't bend, it will break. You can get it [or a similar product] at the TSC farm store, Eutectic has been making products like this for almoast 100 years. I carried it onboard My boat when I was long term cruising because it would work with a propane or mapp torch, which I had onboard. I never had an emergency repair that called for it.
Parent - By tsalagi (*) Date 01-30-2007 10:14
i've seen it also, i get off work at 3 a.m. and infomercials are all thats on. the whole time i was watching i was wondering how it looked on x-ray film. it also looked like it just stuck to the base metal instead of fusing to it.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-30-2007 13:45
Looks like solder to me too! It's amazing what the misguided public will believe, especially when they're told "you will save hundreds of dollars".
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-30-2007 13:54
Don't know if this is exactly the same stuff..   But I've seen it at county fairs and swap meets etc.  Some folks have succsess using it to repair broken pot metal as long as not too much strength is required.

Anything that can fix pot metal has at least some value eh?   People are always bringing me that stuff  :)
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-03-2007 02:35
Hey Guys,
Just a note to say I have used the first generation of this type product I got from a gent in Texas, Charles Kimbrough. His product is called HTS-735 and I've been using it 2-3yrs now. It works very well as advertised, similar in use like solder, and is quite strong. I do take the extra measure to prep/clean the joined area like I do with all aluminum. I have repaired carburetors and a multitude of die-cast items. Since die-cast is really a combination of garbage metals, mostly zinc, alum, tin, and other crap, this rod works very well. Most throw away die-cast items when they break, because they're unrepairable, but most can be salvaged with this rod. If you've never tried it, you miss out on a handy product that does work for the parameters it was designed for. I've even drilled and re-threaded repaired oversize holes with it......Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alumaloy