Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / combination welder
- - By tneman66 Date 01-31-2007 02:55
I am currently going to college taking a welding program. I have recently certified for unlimited thickness on plate steel with stick and an now working on 6" sched 40 doing 6010 root/ 7018 cover. I have been looking for jobs since I will be getting out in May possibly (if I can find work). I have been seeing listing asking for a combination welder with a few different construction outfits. Can anyone tell me what exactly that is?

Thanks
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 01-31-2007 04:28
They may mean skilled in all processes by combination welder.
Parent - By DRS Date 01-31-2007 04:39
Well to my understanding it refers to one that has SKILLS in different welding processes.
Basically that would be it in a nutshell =)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-31-2007 06:54
In my neck of the woods a "Combination" welder is one that can fit as well as weld GTAW roots with SMAW fill.
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 01-31-2007 10:37
In construction, it is my understanding a combination welder is a pipe welder who can GTAW and SMAW pipe. This includes welding stainless steel as well as carbon steel. Usually if they want a fitter/welder  <------- is how it will be listed. They may also include GMAW as one of the combination of welding processes but that process is seldom done in the field or on pipe. I also agree with being able to Tig a root (& hot pass) and finish the weld with 7018 as "combination" welding.

Be well,
Hawk
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 03-16-2007 01:19
Hawk got it right, Combo welder means to Tig/Stick stainless and carbon
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 01-31-2007 13:12
Back in the "old days", there were welders and burners (guys skilled in oxy-acetylene cutting).  A person skilled in both welding and cutting was called a combination welder.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 01-31-2007 16:31
If he's talking construction, it' most likely stick and wire
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 01-31-2007 20:52
My interpretation would be a welder skilled with stick, AC and DC tig, flux-cored and solid wires, torch, plasma, and air arc.
Parent - - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-16-2007 16:41
My teacher retired from the army for welding and he said its someone trained in Smaw,Gmaw,Gtaw and can pretty much run a good bead with any electrode,wire,and or rod on any thickness that suits the process. So  pretty much combo welders are the kings! Give them metal to weld and they can weld it.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-16-2007 17:45
An original combination welder was on who could do both arc and oxy welding. Before arc welding a real welder had torches with multiple heads. I have one of these old torches. Took a hand to run on of them. Inspection tools were coins. Quarter wide, nickel high.
The term combination welder is a Davis Bacon holdover from the 30's. Welders are now qualified in different process. There is still a classification for burner in some of the DB classifications. Also some gas distribution companies have combination welders if they still oxy 2 inch or less.   
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-17-2007 03:47
"Before arc welding" Before arc welding a welder used a forge, a hammer and an anvil. Electric and oxy-hydrogen / oxy-acetylene welding were developed at almost the same time, very early 1900's.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / combination welder