Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working Out west???
- - By Harvard (*) Date 02-01-2007 01:52
Hello All,
Well, the coal company I am welding for now, mite be shutting down. Thats a rumor right now, although the big wig was riding around with the owner of another coal company. Anyway, if the co. shuts down this area is about shot for welding work. And, I am THINKING about relocating, out west somewhere. Maybe pipelines or oil field work or something, or possibly a mine some where out there. Is there any areas out there with work? No, I dont have my own rig, yet at least. And, the last time I welded pipe was when I was at Hobart institute of welding tech, 2 years ago, but I know I can do it. Can some one please kinda guide me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Chris
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-01-2007 15:48
i believe centralia Washington has a large coal plant. lots of structural, shipyard, and pipe work in the area
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 02-01-2007 16:21
I am not sure where you are now.....
I know the Gillette and the Casper-Evansville Wyoming areas are looking for welders.  (There are coal mines in that region too)
I also know the Elko Nevada area is looking for welders as well.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2007 16:31
Hello hogan, unfortunately there is a large lay-off scheduled for this facility and possibly even a complete shutdown and mothballing of that mine. I have this information from some pretty reliable sources. Sorry guys. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-01-2007 16:39
it's been a long time scince i've been up there. thanks for the info
Parent - - By Harvard (*) Date 02-01-2007 23:38
Thanks guys. Right now, I am in eastern Ohio. It almost seems that all of the mines are dieing. There are only 3 or 4 around here, and mite be less here soon. Dont have a clue yet.
Thanks,
Chris
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-02-2007 15:57
Just an FYI-
There are a number of fab shobs here in Milwaukee, WI that have a lot of posting for welders...For example, Bucyrus, maker of mining equipment has one:  (Not sure if this is in your pay grade but as an example-)

Lead Welder- Job Description:$22.233/hr. plus .60/hr for shift premium 2nd shift. Direct and work with a group of welders to provide them with the technique and training to become successful welders in a production environment. Hand weld all plain and alloy steel work in all positions and set up work on which major alignments and ...
Parent - - By Harvard (*) Date 02-03-2007 01:12
Wow thanks Bill. Thats more then what I make now. Although I dont think I am the right person for the job. Just outa couriousity, what is about the Cost of living in/ around Milwaukee??
Thanks,
Chris
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-03-2007 01:18
You can manage a mortguage with what you can make at Bucyrus...

BTW

P&H, the only other company in the world that makes draglines the same size as Bucyrus is also in Milwaukee and desparate for welders...

Both companies have internal training schools to take the folks who pass their entry test and get them ready for the MASSIVE steel that they join.

Also BTW
Bucyrus built the steam shovels that dug the Panama canal.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-03-2007 16:04
I can verify the things that Bill mentioned about Wyoming.  There are 15 or 20 mines in the Powder River Basin in northern Wyoming, all open pit.  The largest one is Arch Coal's Black Thunder.  They have 5 draglines and 11 electric shovels.  In 2005 they sold 87.6 million tons.  The mine wages and benefits are top notch.

There are also equipment manufactures and repair shops (including P&H, L&H Machine and Mineserco) in Casper and Gillette building & repairing everything from haul trucks to shovel and dragline components; mostly handles, buckets, dippers and sideframes.  All of them are hiring welders.  Our coal is low sulphur and is fetching top dollar per ton. I don't think that the walk-in-the-door wages here are as good as the $22/hour mentioned....but the population of the entire state is only 500,000.

Every welding shop in Casper and Gillette that builds oil and gas equipment, pressure vessels, piping, compression units is hiring.  We are in another energy boom here.  Best guess for now is that it will last 15 years.

I can sure PM (private message) some company names and telephone numbers if you like.

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working Out west???