Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / blue or red
- - By Robert C (*) Date 02-02-2007 00:44
I am about to purchase a new engine drive, and am trying to decide between a Trailblazer 302G or a Ranger305G. I curently have a Ranger 250 wich I love but need a little more. I like the arc of my Lincoln with low-hydrogen and 5p, but also like the Trailblazer's AC Tig capability. I know that neither machine can compete with a SA 200 when it comes to stick arc, but I need a machine with plenty of auxilary power and multi-process capabilitywithout sacraficing stick capability. I just never owned a Miller and just wanted to know what others thought.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-02-2007 02:07
I have an old Miller TB and it has 4000 + hours and is a fantastic 3phase arc. Very smooth arc characteristic. I beleive the Miller Legend & Trailblazers are the only 5-600 pound class engine drives with three phase DC arcs.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-02-2007 04:08
I have been wondering how many hours those 3600 RPM engines last on the compact welders. Do you rebuild, repower, or trade up to a new machine when the engine is shot?
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-02-2007 16:44
Brand new machine. Old one owes me nothing, if it dies, I bury it! If it is running, the Shopper/Trader paper's have a lot of buyers willing to pay at least 50% of the price paid for new.
Parent - - By Robert C (*) Date 02-03-2007 04:56
I'm in the same boat. 4000 hours on a machine at $55/hr it has paid for it's self. If you throw it in a dumpster you still come out on top. Don't get me wrong, I love the arc of a big machine. But I can't see the extra cost (unless you need the amps for gouging etc.). The small machines now weld so good and have great multi-process capabilaty I really don"t see the need to spend $11,000 on a big machine.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-03-2007 05:05
I asked [the engine question] as a potential buyer of a used machine. I have a 1959 Hobart compact, true DC generator that welds pretty well, but the AC aux. power which is what I use it for most often nowdays is nowhere near what a newer machine has.
Parent - By Robert C (*) Date 02-03-2007 06:22
sorry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / blue or red