Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal Circles
- - By monsoon12 (**) Date 02-05-2007 03:21
Am going to make a candle holder an was wondering if anyone out there knows of a web page that sells the circles for the base to hold the candle.It would be about 6' base.Something thin with some sort of indentation in the center to hold the wax from dripping off.Or any opinions on the subject are welcome.Thanks in advance,
monsoon12
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-05-2007 07:09
You might ask the question at Anvilfire.com on the "Guru's Den" section. This has been discussed there, but I don't know if there was a supplier.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-05-2007 07:20
Hello monsoon12, do you have any access to a pattern burning table,or waterjet,or some other sort of programmable cutting unit? If not, simply having a circle cutter for a hand-held plasma or oxy-fuel cutting torch would probably do to cut some circles of the appropriate diameter. If you're trying to depress the center you might try finding a short length of pipe(the I.D. being slightly smaller than the diameter of the circle) and placing the circle over the end of the pipe and using a soft face or dead blow hammer to depress the center of the circle to make your wax retainer. You could also use the ball peen end of a hammer to give it some character. Then if you need something in the center to hold the candle, use a small diameter pipe of the correct size that fits the candle and weld it to the center of your circle.
      If you have ever watched someone use a leather bag filled with sand and a hammer with a rounded plastic end, form and round metal, that is along the same lines, I believe that method is used in many instances to work copper, brass, and aluminum. I don't know the appropriate name for this or the names of the tools, but I believe you can get the idea. Hope this somewhat covers what your question was. Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal Circles