Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MSN Feb 6 2007 Article - Top 10 Blue Collar Jobs....
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-06-2007 16:37 Edited 02-06-2007 18:52
Today, on MSN they showed a photo of a welder followed by an article from Careerbuilder.com, check this link:

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/careeradvice/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=930&SiteId=cbmsnch4930&sc_extcmp=JS_930_msn&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=75403bb5d8224609881194a4bcaa3c34-224084313-W3-2

The top 10 blue collar jobs can be seen within the article but I have highlited some which are applicable to our field below:

1. Construction and Building Inspectors
What it pays: $43,670 per year
Employment projected to increase: 18-26 percent

5. Iron and Metal Workers
What it pays: $20.40 per hour
Employment projected to increase: 9-17 percent

8. Plumbers, Pipelayers, Pipefitters and Steamfitters
What it pays: $19.85 per hour
Employment projected to increase: 9-17 percent

9. Heating, Air-Conditioning, Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
What it pays: $17.43 per hour
Employment projected to increase: 18-26 percent

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, construction and extraction jobs are expected to grow 12 percent by 2014, adding 931,000 jobs to the field.
Parent - - By roadwhore (*) Date 02-06-2007 20:02
From before the time I graduated HS (1990) and continuing until today, guidance counselors, parents, educators, etc... push college on all the High School kids.  If you aren't going into the millitary or off to college, people wonder what was wrong with you, where will you go in life, how will you survive?

Kids are getting lazy and don't want to work anymore.  They want desk jobs and big pay checks.  Blue collar workers are looked down on by Audi driving yuppie snobs.  They forget who does the work that built this country and keeps it going.  Construction and factory jobs were envied once. If you got into the Union or got that job at the automotive plant, you were set.

It's nice to see we blue collar guys have some hope in the future and are getting some of the respect we deserve.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-06-2007 20:11
roadwhore, you said a mouthful!  I myself got out of the field because I was tired of being treated like sh*t and swore I'd always treat my welders with respect... now 20+ years after leaving my tools behind I'm glad to see a level of respect finally coming around to the hands deserving it most.

You are also dead on the money as far as our funky education system here.  Not everyone is cut out to be college material and pushing those who probably won't have a clue what to do after graduation is simply bogging down an already overloaded system. 

Great post!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-07-2007 07:43
Even in the '70s when I was a VoTec student there was a big push to get the "smart" kids into colege prep courses and have them go to colege after graduation, and dump all of the stupid kids and special ed kids into the VoTec programs. Of course some smart kids went the VoTec route of their own choice, but it was not encouraged. If the educators/guidance counselers had thier way the skilled trades people would be a bunch of dummies, and our country would be in really bad shape.
Parent - By tsalagi (*) Date 02-07-2007 10:06
my brother went to learn computers after highschool and has been a network adminisrator for quite a while now. he does good for himself and his family. since then, they started teaching computers in highschool and kids with his knowledge are a dime a dozen. before long all the pay scales of theese type of jobs will go down as more and more kids have this kind of knowledge and so on.
technology will always get more and more advanced but, i figure that the more people in the field the pay will decrease and more demanding jobs will have the better pay and so that is what will attract new hands.
at least it sounds reasonable to me.
Parent - - By magodley (**) Date 02-07-2007 14:04
One of the problems is that counselors and other educations folks have 0 respect for the trades. Probably because they know nothing about them...and don't want to know. One other problem is that the trades, organizations, owners etc. have not demanded that education listen.
Here is a link that every counselor should have.

Andy

http://www.khake.com/page58.html
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-07-2007 14:51
I'm not so sure it's limited to just the counselors and other educations folks, how many times have I heard "without a college education you'll end up working at McDonalds"... it seems to me that it's more society as a whole, and not only in our country but in many countries.  Nowdays it seems the person who doesn't have some sort of extended education even if it's simply a vocational certificate is earmarked from the start for slower promotions and raises and even less chance of ever reaching the higher positions.  Sad but true.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-08-2007 06:02
I agree with John20013 that an education goes a long way in getting a good start in a career. It is foolish, but many companies do not want to move trades people into engineering or 'technical" positions.I formerly worked for Dana corp. There were technical positions that required a degree to be considered for - any degree - even if it was not at all related to the job. One of My friends became a test engineer - with a degree in biology. It would have been more logical to start with someone from the skilled trades.  I am a fim believer in the apprenticeship programs for the trades that offer them. Apprenticeship offers education and experience while earning a wage, as oposed to colege which You usually end up in debt for. I am not opposed to colege education in the fields it is needed for, but to spend all that time and money getting a degree in a field that You later find You don't like, or that offers no employment makes no sense to me. VoTec high school gives the oportunity to learn the basics of a trade, and more importantly to find out if You want to work in that trade. All for free, a point that most kids can't seem to grasp. Of course there are professions which offer much greater compensation potential, but like any job You have to like what You are doing, or You are going to be an unhappy camper 40+ hours a week. There are a lot of unhappy campers in the worold.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 02-08-2007 14:32
respect us or not "WE BUILD THE WORLD" around the world and the richer that someone is the more they depend on us, as a collective we are the power.
darren
proud to be a blue and black (from work) collar
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MSN Feb 6 2007 Article - Top 10 Blue Collar Jobs....