Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / repair of k sec of wf beam
- - By vakoch Date 02-07-2007 03:58
Can anyome tell me where I can find Info. on weld repair in k sec. of A592-50 wide flange beam.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2007 12:32
What exactly are you doing/repairing? Give some specific details so we can have more to go on when replying to your question. We repair WF sections on a regular basis, so maybe we can help. (ASTM A572-Gr 50)?
Parent - - By vakoch Date 02-07-2007 13:03
wide flange beam has a gash in the web about 1 1/2" wide by 18" long and 1/4" deep beam is a A572-50 size w 21 x 50 most of the gash is in k area as aisc gives 1 5/16" as K.
As being an Inspector I have been told the rule is no welding in K. But I can't find this in aws d1.1, aisc green book or ASTM.
Need Info. on this repair and welding in K area.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2007 14:38
I don't think that you will find that recomendation in D1.1 or in the AISC's green book. I remember that phrase also, but I can't place my finger on the black and white (in ink) version of it. I did remember FEMA 350 or 353 addressing this in regards to web doubler design and trying to avoid welding in that area. However I seem to member if welding of the "k" was unavoidable to use PT or MT (after the material cooled back to ambient) to check for soundness and cracking.

Now with all that said, if I was the fabricator and I had to make a repair of that size to a stock piece of V50 W21x50, I would just replace it. It isn't an uncommon size or a hard to get section, and the worry of testing and getting the repair approved and OK'd for use, just isn't worth it.

Now I do remember cheating on the "k" area with full depth clip angles when I was a detailer and with those you are welding in the "k" area. If I run up on the black and white version of "welding of the "k" area is prohibited", I will post my findings.
Parent - - By gkcwi (**) Date 02-07-2007 15:41
Another thought would be to use ASTM A6-Section 9/Quality . 9.3 Structural Size Shapes, Bar Size Shapes, and Sheet Piling Conditioning.  If your defect area is under a certain size area, you may be able to just do some grinding or chipping. If it exceeds  the area limits, you can do w weld repair using certain requirements. We have done this in the past if we have to because of schedules. We turn in a repair ticket to the manufacturer, most times our time exceeds the value of the piece.

Greg
Parent - By Ram_ (*) Date 02-07-2007 21:45
hello,
A piece of material to be fabricated has to conform to its designation and acceptability. If you need to fix a part of it, be it  by welding or splicing, you always need to have a 100% of sound metal. You may have to do UT on the material. But I do not know whether they could UT the beam on the K area.
I would let them fix it, but prove that the material is 100% sound metal, and grind it down to achieve the shape of the beam.
my two cents.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-09-2007 16:47
Attached is what our engineer sent back to me after I submitted your question to him.

After reading this it sure looks familar to me, so I looked in FEMA 350 3.3.2.3 and it almost mirrors this text.

Does this answer your specific question about whether it is prohibited by D1.1 or other code to weld in the "k" region of a WF beam...I don't think it clearly says either way in black and white, it simply recommends against the practice in certain conditions.

As far as if you are inspecting and run up on something like you did, and have a concern or a question about your findings...

... I would simply note your concern in your report and that you didn't see any code violations against this practice that you are aware of, then cite this article as your basis for your concern and let the EOR make a decision whether to accept or reject.

just my two cents
Attachment: weldingthe_k_area.pdf (234k)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2007 13:46
vakoch,
Did you get this all worked out?
...just curious
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / repair of k sec of wf beam