Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Career?
- - By brewboy Date 02-07-2007 14:05
Hello everyone! Wasn't sure if this is where to post or not!! I am brand new to this forum and to the thought of totally changing career paths. I am a 34yr old who has worked in accounting for quite sometime now and just flat worn out from the desk job. I am the type of person that has to always be working with his hands as I love to fiddle with things and I was an ex-golf professional. I am really thinking about going to school to learn the trade of welding. I am in the Atlanta area and would like to find out if welding is currently a great career in this area and what sort of welding I could get into? I don't like heights much more then about 5 stories up, so doing crane or multi story building welds would pretty much be out of the question for me. Any help or advice any of you could give would be great!!! Also, what sort of money can be made in this profession? And is schooling the best way to get started? The areas of study for the program I am looking at are:
Areas of Skills and Knowledge
* Welding shielded metal arc
* Gas metal arc
* Gas tungsten arc
* Oxyacetylene torch and plasma cutting

Thanks so very much!!!
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-07-2007 14:43
Hey brewboy,
Welcome to the forum. You will find a tremendous wealth of information, opinions, guidance and suggestions as to a career path and job positions that are in demand presently and in the future. There have been recent posts by some of the gents here that will give you some ideas of welding positions that are in need, locations that are in short supply, and some wages that are currently offered. You will have to really sift thru all the different types of welding you may find interest in. There is pipeline, rig welding, structural in-house, fabrication, aerospace, manufacturing, and in conjunction, companies seeking those for only specific welding such as MIG, TIG, SMAW, SAW, Oxy-Acet., and their applications of steel, aluminum, cast, titanium, and other processes. My advice is if you are considering schooling, take one that will provide you all the different applications of welding and processes, and learn all you can. There are some wonderful books available on www.amazon.com that will give you information about welding and are very reasonable in price. Start doing your research homework now and read as much as you can to get some ideas of a career choice. Believe me, there is money to be made....it's all in... "how bad do you want it?" Take some time each day and go thru some of the past posts here and you will get some ideas of the jobs the welders here do and like. There is a vast array of welding careers here and each one provides information and input to others to help and solve problems and issues. Been welding over 40 years now, and still love every minute of it and look forward to the next day of challenges and rewards.......Good Luck....Denny
Parent - By brewboy Date 02-07-2007 14:54
Denny,

Thanks so much for your indepth reply!! I will start doing my research on all the posts within this forum to get ideas of where to start looking for my likes and dislikes of this new career change. 
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-07-2007 22:07
There are several code vessel shops in your area. You may want do a survey of whats in the Atlanta area.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Career?