Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Well founded welding machine opinions wanted!
- - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-08-2007 07:08
Anybody had the opportunity to SMAW with various brands of 7018 electrodes with both the Lincoln Ranger 250 and the Lincoln Ranger 305G on a comparative basis?  If so what are your opinions particualrly to arc start in the CC mode?  Additionally, has anyone had the opportunity to speak with a Lincoln engineer as to what exactly the welding arc is modified to when switching either of these two machines from the standard stick mode to downhill pipe mode?  I can readily determine the difference in actual welding operation, but I am curious as to what is done to accomplish this.
One more item!  As I am contemplating a new machine in or around the size class as noted above, what other comments do you have on these machines?  Have any comments to add for the Miller Pipepro series as this is about as heavy of a machine as I would like to carry?  Mostly used for structural welding both SMAW and FCAW with occasional TIG.  Your input is appreciated as I am limited in what I can demo in my area and if you listen to the sales people; even the problem with the crack of dawn is overcome by any of the latest offerings by either Lincoln or Miller.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-08-2007 13:57
I have the 250 Ranger, and it really works great for our on site repair/ fabrication division.  Have not spoke to the engineers at Lincoln, but it feels and sounds like the pipe mode has some kind high frequency like AC tig welding.  When you strike the arc and hold a very short arc it has the sound of really high pitch high frequency.
Hay, maybe I'm way off (or even hearing things), but that's what it sounds like on our unit.  We only put 40-50 hours per month on it, so it spends more time under the cover than it does welding.
Just my $.02
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-09-2007 02:42
Thanks for your reply.  I currently am running on one my rigs a Ranger 250 of the early version with about 1900 hours on it now.  No real problems except for some corrosion on the connector to the exciter board controlling high idle while using 110V and of course the dreaded high altitude, hot day vapor lock that eevery diaphragm fuel pump air cooled engine I have ever had has done.  Aside from that the machine has been awesome and Lincoln has done a good job of correcting those maladies in the early units with new enclosed weather proof circuitry and an additional electric fuel pump as supply to the diaphragm pump.  No more electric pump retrofits.  I am just getting to that point where I have depreciated this machine to zero and would like to sell it and replace it with new and this time opt for the new extended warranties.  Where I live welder repair guys are both expensive and rather poor in performance.  I haul my two bigger machines 1100 miles to California for repairs when needed.  The Ranger 250  and the 305 along with others in that class are good options for sure for the light weight , low cost (coparatively), and small footprint on your truck.  I echo Sourdough's sentiments that the lighter weight and less room consumed is sure helpful for wear and tear on rather expensive trucks.  I travel at least 150 miles every work day so vehicle wear is signifcant.  I am just researching others opinions and experiences,  As I am not a pipeliner, so I don't see the need for a big grey machine although they do weld really nice.  They are just a little cumbersome when the time comes to take that machine off the truck and haul it to the roof of a thirty story building for some remodel work.  Or worse yet put it on the back of a snowcat and haul it up a ski run to repair gondola bull wheels.
The ideal machine as I am thinking at this moment would marry the unbelieveable  arc characteristics of lets say a SA-200 with the tenacity of a Miller 55G or Big 50, lite weight like the Ranger 250, powerful and smooth like the Honda engine on the thermal arc predator 275 and most important quiet like the Lincoln 300 DLX with it's sound absorbing cabinet.  Oh yeah it would be really cool if had AC along with the DC features as offered on both the Miller and Lincoln air cooled machines such as the Ranger 250 or the Trailblazer 250..  Yup all this for about $4000.00 to your door and still be able to air arc all day long for about 2500 hours worth without tearing up the machine.  Please feel free to add you personal requirements to list and lets see if some at the red or blue camps responds.
Parent - - By clack6010 (*) Date 02-09-2007 02:56
i ran a ranger 250 10hrs/day 6 days a week solid for a year and a half in a rig yard.
they are excellent machines for the price , i think they weld just a good as the $10,000  vantage.
its nice being able to run a radio have your helper grinding , and your buring 5/32  jet rod all at the same time
they are short lived though compared to the bigger machines and they use a lot of gas.

but i wouldnt even think about  tradin   for my oil burnin, smokin in the mornin, loud as hell  red face !
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-09-2007 18:21
The fuel comsumption is high on mine too, but if you just leave it on run instead of using the auto idle when you are running rod after rod it really cuts down on fuel cost.
That's the only thing I don't like is the 10-14 second time before it switches to idle when in auto mode.  It's hard to chip/ brush/ pull a rod/ and clamp it in/ and strike an arc...all in 10-14 seconds.  Sure it can be done, but for 10 hours (and 15 pounds of rod) per day, it's hard to keep up with the idler cycling in and out.  I think if you have 20-25 seconds it would never cycle in and out.  That's where you would save on fuel.
By the way....anybody know how to change that timer???
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-09-2007 18:32
Hello MDG Custom Weld, there may be a pot on the circuit board of the machine that controls that. If you have an electrical schematic of the machine and can read the legends and lingo you could possibly figure it out. Otherwise you'd probably need to take it to a technician to have it done. Just my $.02, Regards, aevald
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-09-2007 20:37
Thanks AEVALD.  We have an EE on staff, never thought about having him look at it....DUHHHHHH

Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees!!!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-09-2007 21:24
:You're more than welcome, hopefully that capability exist on the machine. That, I don't know for sure. Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Well founded welding machine opinions wanted!