Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Leads
- - By KGabbert Date 02-08-2007 18:38
I bought a Lincoln Ranger GXT 10,000 about three months ago, they gave me a deal on some #2 Lead with it, I was wondering if the lead may not be heavy enough. The welds turn out dull looking, I have to chip the slag off vs. it peeling off like I am used to. I have used almost nothing but Miller machines in the past, I don't see how the brand could have that much to do with it. I have used ESAB and Excaliber 1/32 and 1/8 7018, they both turn out dull looking, I have dried my rods out, polarity is set right, temp.is set right, I have about 120ft. of #2 lead that I am using, is this to much? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Parent - - By KAJUN1 (*) Date 02-08-2007 19:03
Maybe try turning up the heat a little more, sounds like you're running a little cold. Your Excaliber rods will look like that, dry going to an Atom arc 7018. It's all the rod you'll need.
Parent - By KGabbert Date 02-08-2007 21:25
Thanks Kajun1, I'll have to try those rods. In the past ESAB has been a good rod also. I have my heat up as high as I can get it without burning to hot.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-08-2007 20:13
Hello KGabbert, obviously if you run the larger leads you will see less line loss of amperage as well as voltage over the longer runs. My personal feelings in this regard go as such: you have the ability on the machine to up the amperage to allow for loss, voltage loss on the other hand can not generally be adjusted for. There is a distinct ratio between a given amperage setting and the voltage that is present at this setting, arc length will change the voltage that is seen at the puddle as well. Some machines have an inductance or arc force control, if so equipped, I would argue that you can tune in the arc with this feature to allow for losses in cable run lengths.
     The situation that you have described in your post doesn't seem to me to be related to your cables. I believe that you have a possible moisture problem with your electrodes, or possibly the condition of the material that you are welding on has something to do with it.
     In the lab that I teach I will have the students do some experimentation to see the effects of different conditions with regard to the issues that I have mentioned above. The first thing that I might do is have them cut a piece of metal into two pieces, one of the pieces I will have them leave in the condition that they found it(rusted, mill scaled, painted, whatever), on the other piece I have them use a grinder and grind it down to bright metal. I then have them take some rod out of the rod oven and also find some rod that has been laying around the shop for awhile. Once they've collected all this stuff up, I have them set their machine to an amperage that they would generally run to make stringer beads. Without changing this setting they run beads on the uncleaned metal with the new rod out of the oven and the rod that has been laying around in the shop, most of the time the slag will be hard to remove from the welds, there will be a lot of spatter and popping going on, and the slag will be darker in color than usual. The weld after the slag has been beaten off will have a rather dark color to it and the edges will usually look rolled over into the base metal. At this time they may not actually notice a great difference between these two rod conditions on this uncleaned metal. Then I have them use the two different rods on the bright metal. In this case the welds will generally progress with less spatter, popping, and the slag will generally be of a much lighter color, they might also notice that the slag peels up after the weld. The unbaked rod in this instance may have a slight additional amount of spatter, popping, and possibly a slightly darker color to it. The edges of the weld will tie in much better at the toes and also will be almost shiny bright even after just knocking the slag off of it. The real difference that can be seen between the welds that were made with rods that have been in the oven and those that have not will come to light if you cut a cross section, polish it, and then look at it with a good magnifying glass or a microscope. The weld from the unbaked electrodes will in most cases contain small pores from the hydrogen that has been trapped due to solidification of the weld metal before the gases have escaped, this is a direct cause of excess moisture in the rod's flux coating. Please forgive me for the long speech, especially if you already knew this. Good luck and Regards, aevald
Parent - - By KGabbert Date 02-08-2007 21:30
aevald, Thanks for the info. I clean my material pretty thoroughly, but I may not have dried the rods out good enough, I will take you and kajun1's advice and try some different rod.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 02-09-2007 01:11
Airco or Esab are the way to go for low hydrogen electrodes. The excaliburs are ok on structural but really dissapointing on pipe. Ive had alot of luck with airco and thats all I carry. If you are using #2 over 50 foot you might think about going with larger leads but all in all it really sounds like the problem is in the base metal or more than likely the electrodes. I run 200 foot of 2/0 off the truck with 50 foot extensions available if needed. When I run my wirefeeder off the truck I plug the 50 foot runs in directly to the machine because its hard for the voltage to travel those long runs. Also if you are running A/C keep in mind that its going to significantly cut down your amperage as well. I wont run over 50 foot through the highfrequency unit off the truck when tig welding aluminum otherwise Ill never get a puddle to form in A/C ( thats off of a Trailblazer 350 too). Try playing with some different electrodes first and see if you get the same results. I think you will be suprised in the difference though. Good luck.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-09-2007 05:18
You mentioned that You might not have dried the rods enough, I read someplace that the temprature to dry rods that have picked up moisture is pretty much hotter than the temp to keep dry rods dry. Perhaps the more experienced guys will comment?
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 02-16-2007 00:21
aevald,
I am wondering about your explination of arc force adjustment. It has been my understanding that the arc force is used so that no matter how close an arc you keep you will not have a drop in amperage hence the penetration is greater.  But this in turn does not allow you to control the heat in the puddle by shortening or lengthning the arc if the arc force is turned up to 100%. ???????
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-16-2007 04:38
Hello makeithot, most arc welding power sources are of the Constant Current design. This being the case they are designed to operate to the set amperage on the machine, this amperage will indeed theoretically remain constant regardless of arc length. When the arc length is varied the voltage at the arc will vary also. Increase the arc length and the voltage will increase, decrease the arc length and the arc voltage will decrease. Back to the arc force adjustment comment, with most machines that I have experienced that have been equipped with arc force adjustment, arc inductance, whatever the particular manufacturer wants to call it. Turn this adjustment up and you will see less turbulence or harshness in the arc and it will tend to run more smoothly, turn this adjustment down and you will see more harshness, digging, violence in the arc. The way that I have been led to understand this goes something like this: set the machine to 110 amps and the arc force knob set to the center position, strike an arc at an arc length of say 1/8", the amperage and voltage delivered at this setting and arc length might actually be 110 amps, 20 volts. Without changing any of the amperage or arc length settings make changes on the arc force knob, turn the arc force to it's maximum setting and start welding again, if you checked the amperage and voltage this time you might have 110 amps and 22 volts, this change would have a definite effect on the bead that will result from this change. Now similarly, leave the machine set at the 110 amp setting and the same arc length, now reduce the arc force knob setting to it's lowest position, it is possible that you might end up having 110 amps and 18 volts possibly, also in this case the bead that would result would turn out differently than the others. If you are trying to compare this voltage varience capability on the machine to simply changing the physical arc length of the rod, the comparison is different. When I long arc the rod there is a tendency of the weld metal to be spattered all over the place and not directed to where I want it to go, yes the voltage increases and the heat that is present in the puddle increases, but not in the same manner as I can accomplish by having an adjustment control on the machine to vary this. I hope that I have brought this point across correctly, if not, we are on the forum and I'm sure that I will be corrected by those more knowledgeable than myself and at that point I will learn. Regards, aevald
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 02-17-2007 22:12
aevald, what you are saying makes sence but ,I have also note'd that when you have the arc force set at let say 30 strike the arc and push the rod to the plate you will see that the amps will fall compared to your setting of lets say 100 amps . If you set the arc force to 100 and push the rod to the plate the amps will stay the same which in turn allows for deeper penetration. Is that the same thing are not , Iam asking because I have heard this feature explained a noumber of ways no two seem to be the same.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-10-2007 19:54
If you can spare the extra bucks try EUCTECTIC brand 7018  rod. It will run hot or cold better than any others I've run. I wont use anything else nowadays.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-16-2007 05:14
ARC FORCE: If You look up the manual for a Miller Syncrowave [I think all but the 300 have arc force controll] on Miller's website You can see on the graph for the Volt/Amper curve what the arc force knob does. It takes some of the steepness out of the Volt /Amper curve or reduces the slope or "droop" of the drooping volt amper curve. This makes the amperage increase as the voltage decreases. It does not go as far as making it a CV power source. I havn't had the oportunity to try one.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-17-2007 23:18
Someone give me an intgelligent answer to this; how exactly does the arc force dial on my 300d work?
Parent - - By lynx Date 02-24-2008 23:32 Edited 02-24-2008 23:42
aevald has a great explaination, and i only want to add to it. When your arc force is turned low, your current will have greater variences with arc length, which is great for out of position welding. As opposed to setting your arc force high, which in turn will create little varience in your current with adjustments to arc length. Which speaking for myself i use for open root.  Hope this has helped. Dean
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-14-2008 03:36
neato
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 03-15-2008 23:30
If you have ever welded with an SA200, you will know that it is possible to get a similar result as that of an arc force dial by switching the course adjustment dial and compensating with the fine dial. In other words, if you set the course adjustment higher and the fine dial lower you will get the forceful digging arc useful in vertical welding. If you set the course dial lower and the fine dial higher, you will get the smooth even arc for a uniform flat bead. This is the same effect that is accomplished with the arc force dial on newer machines.
I may have the relationship of the course to fine dials backwards, but you can tell if you are running one in just a few seconds if you have a forceful arc or a smooth one.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 03-15-2008 16:22
SD This an old post but who makes that rod as I've never seen it. Does it compare to artec 223 in price.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-15-2008 19:06
euctectic is the brands name. You're going to spent 80 bucks for 50#, but it is so worth it. For big jobs where you are gonna burn pounds and pounds, buy the cheaper stuff. But when you want to see reeeeeally pretty welds on the xray, use euctectic.

Man, they ought to hire me as a spokesperson.........?
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 03-15-2008 23:15
80 bucks a box!!!!! and you say thats high? I cant get em from anybody down here and the other stuff is darn near 100 a box too. You use Airgas, praxair or what? Man you could almost sell them, ship them, make some money and I bet you Id still be saving a buck or two. Looky there, now its Sourdough welding supply world wide too. I can see it already......
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 03-15-2008 23:25
HI you said $80 for 50#? is cheep, here on los angeles area, 50# box of E7018 3/32 excalibur is $136 that's expensive.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-19-2008 21:29
Hi Sourdough!

Someone gave you one heck of a break on the price for the eutectic rod... I'm used to seeing it go for $80.00 for 10#'s, and that was a few years ago!!! Hmmm... Very interesting to say the least!!! All the best to you and the Family :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By weiser1876 (*) Date 03-19-2008 23:56
AirGas contractor pricing verrys 1/8 7018 hobart is around $74.00,50lb box pluse tax eastern oklahoma that new germon rod is cheeper but i thank it is hard to run may be the flux is harder just not the same as what i am use to
Parent - By michaelb (**) Date 03-20-2008 02:34
mg rod all they way best fire off available. melts like butter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Leads