Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Different types of pipeline test?
- - By lancesessions Date 02-08-2007 22:44
I was asked what a branch weld test was for 12" pipeline. I had no clue so I thought I would come here and find out. I have looked all over the net and haven't came up with anything. If anyone knows can you please explain it to me. Thanks so much.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-09-2007 11:19
What kind of a pipeline is it? If it is an oil or gas pipeline the applicable standard is API 1104. API is the American Petroleum Institute.
If it is a piping carrying some kind of product in an oil refinery, chemical plant, pulp and paper mill or water works; or carrying steam or water in a power station; then the applicable standard is ASME Code Section IX. ASME is the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
You'll find them at
www.api.org
www.asme.org

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-09-2007 12:39 Edited 02-09-2007 12:41
In simplest terms a branch weld is where one pipe taps into another.  Usually, one of the pipes is considered a "primary" pipe or "header" and the other is considered a "secondary" pipe.  Quite often, but not always, the "secondary" pipe is of smaller diameter.

Most often special fittings called weld-o-lets or branch-o-lets (I'm sure there are also other terms) are used to make these connections.  In other words, a branch connection is a type of T-joint and is almost always a full penetration joint with a fillet cover.

Sometimes there is a reinforcing plate placed over the opening in the primary pipe, sometimes there is not.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-09-2007 15:26
Sock-o-lets, vessel-lets, sweep-o-lets, sex-o-lets, no wait, they were pop singers from the 70's.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-09-2007 20:14
Morning guys,
As Jon has mentioned a branch is when one pipe is "stabbed" into another. That is the way most branch connections were achieved in the past. Nowadays if it is new piping you will generally have a "tee" piece and if it is existing you will have a weldolet/sockolet etc.
The branch test is used to determine a welders ability to cut, shape (scallop) prepare and weld one pipe on to another.
In New Zealand we have a weld test for s/s tubing which entails a branch test on 4" pipe. The branch was replaced by "Tees" years ago but the test is still considered a valuable gauge of a persons ability.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-10-2007 20:21
A 12 inch branch is usually what you will test on if you're welding on a natural gas pipeline. You cope one 12 inch piece of pipe, cut the other "main" pipe to accept the addition, then generally weld all the way out with 5p or put a cap on with hippy. My tests were strictly 5p, and they paid CLOSE attention to the root!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-12-2007 23:32
Some companies/inspectors require the branch to be laid out. You need a Blue Book and a roll of adding machine tape. My procedure when I test a welder is to allow the cutting and trimming at what ever height the welder feels comfortable with. The tacks have to be in the quarters. Once the branch is tacked up the throat has to be set at 18 inches. No more no less. Bead must be full penetration. Once the welding begins,, the welder can grind the starts and stops. After running the bead, the bead can be ground, then the hot pass applied. That is when I look at the bead. Any IP, not your day. Blow through, sorry.  Arc burn, gone. Bead and hot pass run with 5/32. Fillers and cap with 3/16. You don't get your gap right, you are never gonna get that five in there.  Oh yea, you get grinder marks on my pipe, gone. I have never found a welder who can pass this test who cannot weld or who ever disappointed me. Three times in my career I have cut a spark idiot a break on the branch. Every time, I got bit. When it comes to testing, I dont care if your youngest son has an incurable diseases, that your momma is in a state mental hospital and you need money to get her out, or that you are dying of cancer and need money for treatment, I love that one,  (just a few of the corkers I have heard over the years). A pipeline branch test separates the men from the boys. I have never has a company man tell me to lighten up. I dont like test booth queens.
BABRT's 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Different types of pipeline test?