Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Required Welder Certification for rebar?
- - By Ram_ (*) Date 02-09-2007 16:41
Hello Gents,

Does anyone know if it is acceptable a welder's cert of structural steel and use it to weld rebar to structural?

Looking on AWS D1.4 code for reinforcing steel(98),
1.1 it reads:

The Code shall apply to the welding of: 1)reinforcing steel to reinforcing steel, and 2) Reinforcing steel to carbon or low-alloy structural steel.
When the code is stipulated in contract documents, conformance with all provisions shall be required, except for those provisions that the Engineer or contract documentsspecifically modifies or exempts.

The following section "1.2 Application" reads like this:
1.2.1 This code shall be used in conjuction with the prescribed general building code specifications and is applicable to all welding of reinforcing steel, using the processes listed in 1.4, and performed as a part of reinforced concrete construction. When reinforcing steel is welded to structural steel, the provisions of the latest edition of ANSI/AWS D1.1 shall apply to the structural steel component.

I am trying to understand this correctly.
A) you must use the reinforcing steel code when welding rebar to rebar, and rebar to steel, if it's in the contract documents.
B)AWS D1.1 shall be used if welding rebar to structural steel.

so which is it? So can I accept a structural steel welder's cert to weld on rebar to structural steel?
Any input is always welcome, thanks
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-09-2007 17:40
the welder is required to be certified to aws d1.4 for welding of rebar.
Parent - By Ariel D C (**) Date 02-23-2007 04:49
you can accept so long as the welder was qualified in accordance with the approved WPS for rebar to structural steel. 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-25-2007 22:02
The welders and the procedures have to be qualified to D1.4.

Even when D1.4 isn't part of the contract specification, it is most likely in the building code (if you are subject to a building code). I believe the building code, if applicable, overrides the contract specification.

I believe the last part of 1.2.1 refers to the welding of the structural steel component if any angle clips, cover plates, etc (welded per D1.1) are involved, not the welding of rebar to the structural steel (welded per D1.4).

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Required Welder Certification for rebar?