Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Remote start to Vantage 400
- - By CV Weld Date 02-11-2007 01:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello group, I just posted this at the miller forum and thought I'd post it here as well.
I spent the better part of 6 hours installing a universal remote start on my Vantage 400 last Saturday and have been using it this past week and boy I should have done this to all my weld rigs years ago. The installation was very straight forward. I only needed one relay and that was for the look out everyone I'm getting ready to start chirp horn. Any time you have self starting equipment you should really have a sticker posted on the equipment stating that this equipment remotely starts. It is also very important to be able to lock out the remote so while doing service on your equipment that it does not self start.  So I saved 3 gallons of diesel this week doing the same work and saved several hundred feet of walking back and forth turning the rig off and on off and on. The Vantage burns just under 1 gallon of fuel for every 2 hours of use at about 60% welding and 40% at idle and 6 hours off the hour meter of the rig. I did not have to cut any factory wires but I did have to drill 2@1/4'' holes for the mounting bracket for the pc board. Works like a champ and my other rig buddies are in the process of talking about a change over or making it happen. It will remote start from 125' away. Total cost less labor 85.00 bucks. Oh yea, Don  www.cvweld.com
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 02-11-2007 04:21
Don,
who makes this system? Also how does it control your high & low idle or does it stay on high idle all the time? Any more info would be great.
Parent - By CV Weld Date 02-11-2007 04:48
cmays,
The remote start is  called ultra start. I got it on ebay. It came with two remotes and all the wiring.  The welder works the exact same as if you flipped the toggle on switch and pushed the start button.  You can set up the remote to extend the run time.  I have the remote set for the maximum run time of 45 minutes. All you have to do to extend the run time is push the # button and it extends the time for another 15 minutes.  I do think by adding another relay I can force the ignition to stay on indefinitely or until i push the stop button.  I'm sure this setup is not for everyone but in my line of work I'm happy to shut down the rig for 10 minutes while doing layout.   I'll post pics on my website if needed. Don
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Remote start to Vantage 400