Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qualification Range for a 2F Fillet Weld Test.
- - By eekpod (****) Date 02-12-2007 23:34
Ive got myself all worked up over this issue.  I'm filling out a welders qualification record and I'm not certain of the "Qualification Range" of this test. 

Does one fillet weld test on 1/2" steel plate (A572) in the 2F position (Figure 4.37, pg 184) qualify a welder to weld a pipe over 24" in diameter?

I am using D1.1 2006, table's:
Table 4.10 (pg 145)Welder Qualification -Production Welding Positions Qualified by Plate Test. 
Table 4.11 (pg146) Welder Qualification- Number and type of Specimens and Range of Thickness and Diam. Qualified.

I see in Table 4.10 that a Qual. Test w/ Plate and fillet weld in the 2F position gets me :
Production Plate- Fillet in F and H
Production Pipe- Fillet in F and H
Production Box Tube-Fillet in F and H
No footnotes apply for Table 4.10

Table 4.11 (1) Test on Plate, halfway down the page Fillet option 1 (fig 4.37)  **note the AWS Errata sheet that they admitted a misprint in this table.
Fillet option 1, 1/2" plate 1 fillet weld break test, 1 macro etch, qualifies for plate thickness 1/8" to unlimited 60 degree to 135.

Here's my issue/ question.  Look on pg 147 the continued table 4.11 (2) test on pipe, almost halfway down, option 1 fillet figure 4.37 footnote G.

Footnote G states "Two plates required, each subject to the test specimen requirements described.  One plate shall be welded in the 3F position and the other in the 4F position."

I only gave one test in the 2F position on plate, isn't this telling me he's not certified for production welding on pipe min. 24" to unlimited because I need to give two tests, one each in the 3F and 4F position.

Could someone please straighten me out on what I am misinterpreting on the pipe fillet weld and pipe Dia. size.

Thank You , Chris
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-13-2007 16:42
it looks like pg147 (2) test on pipe doese not apply to your situation. you stated that the test was performed on 1/2" plate. looking back at table 4.10, it qualifies you for fillets in the 1 and 2 position on pipe without the limit of 24" and over, any dia. is qualified. if i'm reading it correctly
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-13-2007 21:29
Hogan, thanks for your reply.  I agree w/ you that Table 4.11 pg 147 (2) Test on Pipe doesn't apply in my application because he took a plate test.
So that means because of table 4.10 that he is certified to weld any size pipe/tubing as long as it's in the 1F,or 2F position, which makes sense, as long as he stays flat and or horizontal.

I guess I was trying to figure out how some of our old certs say 24" and over and I couldn't get that to apply for this case and I couldn't figure out how they came up with it.  For what it's worth, the prior person wasn't very detail orientated in filling out the paper work correctly, and I thought it was me missing something, and it appears it was him.
I agree w/ your answer, thanks Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qualification Range for a 2F Fillet Weld Test.