Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum alloys
- - By blindlightguy Date 02-14-2007 00:45
Hi,

I am new here, but thought that you guys would have the best knowledge about my question. I don't really ever weld aluminum but I have a project coming up that will require it. My question centers around welding two different alloys together. I have access to all the structural pieces I need, and they are all 6061 but the decorative skin I am going to have to buy material for. I am wondering if I can get away with 3003, which is cheaper. I know it won't be as strong, but can I weld the two alloys together? My guess is no because it will save money.

FYI I will be using a MIG process.

Thanks alot guys.

Blindlightguy
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-14-2007 05:36
I built 2 units that resemble a pickup truck cap - only scaled up to fit a dump truck. The structural parts were  6061 3/16" wall square tube and the skins were 3xxx 1/8" diamondplate, I used 3/64 4043 wire and argon with a spoolgun. It worked out well.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-15-2007 02:01
Hey blindlightguy,
I have to agree with DaveBoyer with his parameters. I also use 4043, 100%Argon, for those 2 alum. grades, but I have a MIG welder specifically for welding aluminum only...no spool gun. For the thicknesses you want to do, I would use .035 dia. wire. I use 5356 for other applications and grades. If you are going to MIG, do you use the MIG for steel welding? You cannot intermix steel and aluminum wire thru the same liner. Either install a new liner, or get a spoolgun. Also, be mindful that aluminum has to be really clean......and be smart and do some practice on scrap till you get your feed & heat just right. Gotta go kinda fast with aluminum. Let us know how you make out....Good Luck.....Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum alloys