Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT Lighting, distance and angle criteria
- - By rtrautman (*) Date 02-15-2007 16:15
I am posting to see if there is some place in AWS D1.1:2006 where it states what the lighting conditions have to be, distance from the object and angle of the eye has to be.  There reason I am asking is that I was asked to do a comparison between AWS D1.1:2006 and EN 970:1997 for a customer and I swore I ran across the distance and lighting somewhere in AWS D1.1:2004 and cannot find it in 2006.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-15-2007 16:31
Not positive, but it sounds like you may be confusing this with ASNT SNT-TC-1a VT examinations.  I just looked in D1.1 and didn't find what you're asking about but I do know for a fact those things are included in SNT-TC-1a.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-15-2007 18:42
For MT and PT I believe there are lighting requirements listed in ASTM E709 and ASTM E165.....
Don't remember anything about the angle of viewing being specified though....
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-15-2007 18:50
Angle of view and lighting requirements are specified within SNT-TC-1a for visual examinations.
Parent - - By iesca (**) Date 02-16-2007 00:52
I have not found (in AWS Standards) requirements about ligthing conditions, viewing angle or distance from the eye to object, but I think than the following information could be useful for you:

1. Section IX (ASME BPVC) Article 9 -Visual Examination, in T-952 states: "Direct visual examination may usually be made when access is sufficient to place the eye within 24 in. (610 mm) of the surface to be examined and at a angle not less than 30 deg. to the surface to be examined... The minimum light intensity at the examination surface/site shall be 100 footcandles (1000 lx)..."
2. In Visual and Optical Testing (NDT) the common requirements/recommendation are: A minimum intensity of 160 lx (15 ftc) of ilumination should be used for general visual testing. A minimum of 500 lx (50 ftc) should be used for critical or finely detailed tests.
3. Accordigng the Illuminating Engineering Society, visual testing requires ligth at 1,100 to 3,200 lx (100 to 300 ftc) for critical work.
4. The eye should be brougth close of the tests object, however, a direct visual test should be performed at a distance of 10 to 24 in.  The most recommended distance is from 10 to 12 in.

Hector Garcia
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 02-16-2007 02:41
Thank you hector, that is the correct answer.
Best regards,
VONASH
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-16-2007 02:53
You can also review the requirements for visual examinations in ASME B&PV Code Section V, Article 9 (I think) for some guidelines for VT.

I do not believe AWS D1.1 provides such guideance.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-16-2007 12:54
I think the reference to Section IX (ASME BPVC) Article 9 -Visual Examination, T-952 was intended to reference Section V instead.  No such reference in IX.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-16-2007 17:22
Jon,

You are correct in that it came from ASME 5 Art 9 T952 "Direct Visual Examination. T953 is Remote and T954 is Translucent.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-16-2007 02:52
I don't recall that information in D1.1 either.  I know ASME references it as we updated our QA Manual several years ago to reflect it.  Hector pointed out the reference in Section IX and I suspect there is a reference to this in Section V as we have an essential variable/nonessential variable chart like Section V uses for the other NDT methods in our manual.  Since I am at home, I can't come up with the exact working from the Code, but the wording in our manual which addresses this issue is as follows:

Applications - Direct Visual - Direct visual examination may be made when access is sufficient to place the eye within 24 in. of the surface to be examined and at an angle of not less than 30 degrees to the surface to be examined.  Illumination (natural or supplemental white light) for the specific part, component, vessel or section thereof being examined is required.  The minimum light intensity at the examination surface shall be 100 footcandles.  The light source, technique used, and light level verification is required to be demonstrated one time, documented, and maintained on file.

~thirdeye~

EDIT - I missed the 30° from hectors post ... sorry for the double information.
Parent - - By rtrautman (*) Date 03-13-2007 14:22
Well then I think the consensus is that I just found a gaping hole in AWS D1.1:2006.  They call out what to look for, but no criteria on the actual examination.  In my professional opinion I think AWS should put in criteria for the examination or at a minimum steer you to ASNT or an ASTM Standard as they do with MT and PT.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 14:45
Maybe, maybe not.  If one is a CWI (not required by D1.1) then once every three years an eye exam is required.  Are you specifically discussing lighting and angular requirements?  Personally, while I wouldn't disagree with you, I'm not sure D1.1 is the document where this criteria belongs.  Just my own opinion.
Parent - - By rtrautman (*) Date 05-23-2007 16:17
I'm just saying that it is a little frustrating when the customer calls out AWS D1.1 and the code doesn't cover this.  In my opinion it should at least steer you to a recommended standard otherwise like you have seen here it is left up to interpretation.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-23-2007 16:29
D1.1 is a constructing and fabricating code, not an inspection standard, this may be one reason for your concern.  Naturally, acceptance criteria is provided but where no reference is made for the "how to" approach of visual examination, it is left to the employer's written practice.  I continue to maintain that D1.1 is not deficient in this regard.
Parent - By rodrod (*) Date 05-24-2007 13:11
As per ASME & API Code & Standard, Visual Inspection shall be done by CAWI,CWI or SNT-TC-1A or equivalent or Knowledgeable & Trained personnel may be used to perform Visual.
Condition of Examination:
1.Surface to be examined shall be illuminated with natural or artificial lightning coditions which obtain a minimum intensity light of 100foot candles or 1000 lux
2.Maximum of 24 inches from the eye to the test specimen at an angle not less than 30degrees.

As per AWS Standard, I think it is not stated about the intensity light, distance & Angle.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT Lighting, distance and angle criteria