Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / need to extend F-350 frame for a hitch - question
- - By chapman14219 (*) Date 02-15-2007 20:11
Just bought a 1994 F-350 4x4 chassis cab with a 12 foot flatbed...the flatbed body is about a foot longer than the truck frame....I want to put a bolt on frame hitch on to pull a large construction trailer

Does anyone know if the truck frame is anything other than mild steel....I have to have some like thickness plates formed to extend the frame and would like to match the alloy ...as best I can.

plan on either stick welding with 7018 or migging with either ER70-6 .035 wire or E71T flux wire.....and fish plating the inside of formed channel......then bolting a fabricated frame hitch  - half on new extension and half on orig frame....

any comments - tips from experience?...thanks in advance
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-17-2007 23:42
Alright, nobody has touched this one, so I'll give you my professional opinion.

IF you weld extentions to your frame it is an ill advised modification.

BUT if you need to do it, make ALL horizontall welds, and fishplate EVERYTHING!! Do not ever have to "wonder" if your load is perfectly safe!!
Parent - By colin jeffrey Date 02-23-2007 11:46
as above
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / need to extend F-350 frame for a hitch - question