Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / UT machine calibrations
- - By thcqci (***) Date 02-16-2007 14:53
Did not know whether to put this question here or Inspection, but since it relates to D1.1, I chose here.  It is time to renew my UT II certs and I am reviewing my procedures at this time also.  I will discuss this with my UT III to get his views, but wanted to ask here also.  I researched here and did not find specific enough answer so am going to ask this way. 

I perform my own calibrations as stated in D1.1.  This is easy enough but can be time consuming especially when we do not perform UT on any regular basis.  John sounds like he does UT almost every day.  But I may go 2 or 3 months with no UT to do and then it may only be a handful of splices, etc. and then nothing again for a while or I may be slammed and do UT for 2 weeks at a time.  Sometimes it is just grab your machine and come UT something and I don't have time to stop and perform calibrations if machine calibration has lapsed.  Thus the calibration frequencies stated in D1.1 and thus my procedure are cumbersome.  The 40 hours may not come for a long time and the 2 month frequency may pass with little or no machine time.  It seems these requirements were written many D1.1 editions before and have not changed for years.  Do the newer digital machines really need to be verified as often as the older analog machines?  Are they not much more stable?  Does anyone (especially you UT IIIs) have a real working solution to establish realistic calibration frequencies that meet the intentions of D1.1 and yet are not done needlessly when no UT has been performed?  I don't want to just do calibrations to keep my machine ready to do UT at the drop of a hat if there is some other workable solution.  Thanks in advance.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 02-19-2007 19:00
The calibration frequency of 40 hrs. is 40 hrs of instrument use.

If, as you said, "the 40hrs may not come for a long time", then you can wait "the long time" to do the horizontal linearity and the internal reflections check req'd at 40 hours. 

However, I am not sure how you can extend the required 2 month interval for checking the gain control accuracy and still be in strict compliance with D1.1.  My digital unit holds linearity and Db accuracy calibration great.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-21-2007 04:01
You are correct in saying the digitals hold cal better. However; any machine is subject to problems, the digitals are particularly susceptible to power supply fluctuations. I would also state that even if your usage is intermittent, it should not be looked at as an onerous task, rather it should be looked at as a matter of professionalism. A level III much less a level II could find themselves on the wrong side of a problem if they ignore the requirements of the referencing codes. Any level III that knows their craft is not going to write a procedure that is inconsistent with the referencing code for that reason without a clearly documented reasoning. Cumbersome as those procedures may be, they help keep you and your company out of legal trouble. Assuming a weld fails, and lawyers get involved due to personal or property injury or damage, from an inspectors stand point, they will be glad they followed a procedure consistent with a known standard. If that same weld fails, and it turns out the inspector violated any part of that procedure, they and their company can be in deep trouble up to an including jail time and fines. As a reference:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part013/part013-0001.html
That section contains the following;
§ 13.1 Basis and purpose.
(a) Basis. This part implements the Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act of 1986, Public Law No. 99-509, §§ 6101-6104, 100 Stat. 1874 (October 21, 1986) (31 U.S.C. 3801-3812). 31 U.S.C. 3809 requires each authority head to promulgate regulations necessary to implement the provisions of that Act.

(b) Purpose. This part (1) establishes administrative procedures for imposing civil penalties and assessments against persons who make, submit, or present, or cause to be made, submitted, or presented, false, fictitious, or fraudulent claims or written statements to authorities or to their agents, and (2) specifies the hearing and appeal rights of persons subject to allegations of liability for such penalties and assessments.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part013/part013-0003.html
That section details it.

In short, any document you submit (inspection or otherwise) to any plant or organization under the NRC authority (supplier, manufacture, etc) that contains falsification, (lack of reporting, not following procedure, etc.) can land you as a minimum with fines, and if it is deemed potentially harmful to the public, in jail.

This extends to several other industries in lesser and greater extents. Most level III's are aware of this concern and that is why they will cover their asses with the code, rather than make something up for themselves that can lead to those kind of concerns. DOT's in particular are going more and more down the legal path.
cumbersome? maybe, but that "cumbersome" is what's covering yours, and your level III's collective asses. You can bank on the fact that AWS committees that wrote those requirements wrote them with that in mind.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 02-21-2007 17:02
I appreciate the replies.  The answer I got was not what I wanted to hear, but is what I expected.  The 40 hours does not bother me as much as the 2 month frequency since several times I have performed the calibration with no new hours on the machine.  Does not take a lot of time except when you don't really have the time to spend doing redundant calibrations for nothing.  I agree with the professionalism aspect stated above.  That is why I do the calibrations that I know some other UT IIs that I know do not.  I do not want anyone that may ever audits me to catch me ignoring a known procedure detail.  Since I was reviewing and editing my UT procedure, I was just looking for a working alternative if there was one that existed.
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-27-2007 15:44
Way back in the days of the analog machines, USK38's and 48's, the linearities and db checks were an everyday requirement by our procdures for the Nuclear Plants.  Even though I have a digital machine now its a habit to do the linearities as part of the calibration check. When I was a level I, I had a great level II who instilled the discipline to do it right.  If you are gonna trust the machine to give you reliable information, you have to know that its based on proper settings. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / UT machine calibrations