Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / another 6-g pipe test HELP
- - By wildchild200200 Date 02-21-2007 05:07
hey guys been an all around welder for yrs,done 6-g 2 3/4' hp tig root, lh fill n cover, but am haedin to DOW for  a 2' stainless TIG  n 6inch steel with  a 6010 root n 7018 lh cover both in 6-g pos, don,t know what size rod they are throwin at me,hopefully a 1/8 for root n 3/32 for fill n cover ,thinkin of 3/32 gap n do i need a land on the bevel or is it knife edge like the hp 2 3/4 coupon? Any advice would be greatly appreciated,probaly goin this friday so if anyone could help time is of the essence thank, Remember, Wildchild says if ya can,t be good ,be good at it
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-21-2007 15:07
I am assuming the 6010 is uphill in which case 3/32 gap - 3/32 land - stepping out to cool and eat a keyhole, and back in to deposit - get the rhythm -watch the edges to consume and fuse. Use a trailing angle on the bottom with the end of the rod slightly to the ID and it should convex nicely. If the keyhole gets away from you don't panic. Just don't step out so far to still give the puddle time to cool step back to deposit. Feather edge on the tig on the 2" of course.
Parent - - By wildchild200200 Date 02-21-2007 15:54
thank bro, any suggestion for amp  setting for any n all, open for all  input.guess this is what happens when ya don,t bust rod on pipe  for twenty yrs lol
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-21-2007 17:35
There may be some that can help you more on the specific settings. Those that have done this more recently. Its been maybe 15 years since I've run a 'red rod' root. But I can suggest striking up on some scrap plate. Find a heat thats comfortable for you (emphasizing the chilly side) and then dial it in with your tacks.
Parent - - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 02-21-2007 19:56
On your root start between 90- 100amps with your 6010 1/8"...  Gap 3/32"- tight 1/8" w 3/32" land..
Get comfortable and Focus..  Depending on the age and performance of your machine you might have to adjust your amperage..If it feels too cold crank it up ... if you can't keep your key-hole fairly steady in size and it keeps opening up on you, turn it down... Use two hands and try to control your breathing... When you get a steady motion that is consistant and you have good penetration and good weld profile on the inside of the pipe, make a mental note to remember and go with it.. 

Brian
Parent - - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 02-21-2007 22:43
All s.s. tig open butt root use a knife-edge land .. Tight 1/8" gap w 1/16" filler (Sch. 40 and Heavier Wall) Walk the cup on the root pass and keep a decent keyhole maintained ,wash back and forth steadily into the walls of the pipe, and keep moving.
Keep feeding your wire and make sure you are running hot enough, but not too hot.. Torch gas 20 c.f.h. and backpurge 20 c.f.h. Watch for undercut and suckback on the over -head part of your 6-g.. It will take a while.. When in doubt stop....wait a bit and check the root inside.. Make sure you have a good flow of gas in and out..

Brian
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 03-16-2007 00:05
On stainless, I use a 5/32 spacer and a 3/32 wire, for the bead.  sharp edge bevel.

Is that Dow in Clute or Freeport Tx., area?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / another 6-g pipe test HELP