Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Hard surface removal
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-22-2007 04:41
Does anyone know of a better technique to remove hard surface welds than just putting a crapload of heat w/little oxygen on the work? I have to do this all the time, and I waste plenty of gas and tips doing so, but haven't figured out a better way. If I used a grinder, I'd be on these jobs till the cows came home...Don't have an air arc that works right now either.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-22-2007 05:11
Hey Sourdough, I'm curious, why do you need to remove these welds in the first place? Are you altering patterns or is there hardface over the top of structural cracks that need to be repaired? I know the torching thing works really poorly on some of the hardfacing materials, even a carbon arc in some cases will have a hard time on certain applications. An oxygen lance can be used for some of this type of work, but it is very messy and would require a fair bit of grinding to make resurfacing a successful process. There are also some scarfing/gouging rods that might work, but here again, you would likely end up living on the grinder. Is there any possibility at all that you could go with a plasma arc gouging/scarfing set-up? If you're doing as much of this as it sounds like, you might very well be able to justify the cost in the long run and properly set-up this is a fairly speedy process with minimal cleanup afterwards. Just a few thoughts. Good luck and regards, Allan
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-22-2007 06:10
Hey Sourdough!
Get another "WORKING" CAC torch and get the job done - Period!

With the kind of dough you're pulling in per year, you can certainly purchase another one and write the new one off in your taxes... While you're at it, you can order the parts for repairing the existing one that you already have... So! what are ya waiting for???;)

Btw, they're hanging just fine & thanks for caring!!!;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-23-2007 20:12
I don't do much of this type of thing. I really don't do much air arc stuff either. What I'm doing by removing the hard surface is replacing bad teeth on rathole drilling buckets. The tips wear out, and by the time the crew notices, the entire unit needs to be replaced due to wear.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-23-2007 20:41
We do some of the hard face removal stuff, ACA is the best, followed close by plasma.  With plasma however, spend a few bucks and get some gouging tips.  They last much longer, and hold a longer arc with better control compaired with standard cutting tips.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-24-2007 08:15
Problem is: I drive pretty much half the day to get to these crappy, cobble, washboard, slimey, muddy, uphill, rutted, and remote locations out in the middle of nowhere. I don't for the life of me carry my 2 tons of gear with me there. I carry what I need, nothing else. I am not in the city. I am not in the town. I am completely at the mercy of the oilfield, and that means if my rig is not light as it can be, I completely drive it into the ground! I made that mistake once, I will not ever do it again......

No way. Can you hear me now?
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-24-2007 11:51
On our rig we only carry a small pancake compressor and an 85amp plas unit.  Total package adds 125 pounds max to the GVW.  I hear ya about the remote stuff.  I know we don't see this things you do, but go 10 miles deep into the National Forest on a fresh cut logging trail to a 10 acre clearing just to weld up a blade or forks or boom on a skidder in late fall or winter.  That's when they have a loader sitting on the road, and one at the clearing just to push the 180K log trucks in and out for the entire 10 miles.  Oh yeah, they make 1 double cut at the 5 mile point just in case they have two trucks meet going in oposite directions.  Try backing a B-train log truck a mile or more over and under in the dense Michigan forest, what fun :)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-24-2007 22:46
Sometimes I feel sorry for myself, I suppose. I then realize I am the one who put myself in the damn situation anyways! I guess sometimes I miss the 9-5er.
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 02-25-2007 16:07
Air arcing is the quickest and easiest route to go.  About every 6 month I get a load of turn sections for a powder grinding assembly.  I arc out the hard facing, build up the worn out spots and re hardface with gmaw.  You really should invest some time into learning/perfecting your aca skills.  It has saved and made me a bundle of money. 
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-25-2007 16:37
As soon as a get a new shop, I'll have to re up my arsenal.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Hard surface removal