Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I've completed my college welding school....now what ?
- - By TERRY 2 Date 02-23-2007 14:53
I will be finishing my certifications very soon. Now I am debating on how to enter the job field. Of course employers want the "EXPERIENCED" guy....understandable...but the age old question is , "HOW AM I GONNA GET EXPERIENCE IF U DON'T HIRE ME"

My question to the highly qualified guys is...Should I enter the job field as a WELDERS HELPER...or press on for a real welder job...and hope my screwups are small ones and my boss has alot of patience.

You can email me your thoughts...they r much appreciated....and needed.

terry-barnhill@sbcglobal.net

Thanx very much
Terry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-23-2007 15:14
Lots of options for a person like you.

Much depends on what you wan't/need.

Do you love one process above all others and wish to master it?  Or is there a particular location you want to work?  Or do you want to travel all over the place?

Nothing at all wrong with being a helper, depending on what the duties are.  Many helpers learn how to do fitup and layout work that another contractor may require the welder to do (with a higher rate of pay for the ability to do both)

If you can do the required welds to pass your qualification exams in school, and do them right and left handed in all psostions, or with other uncomfortable restrictions and do them *consistantly*, than there is nothing wrong with taking a shot at a welders position requiring some experience.  If you can pass their tests that will go a long way to proving yourself.

A union apprenticeship is another good choice for a tech school grad.  I know in my region all the metal working unions are looking for apprentices with a few skills.  Good pay, great bennies, sometimes at ton of OT. with the cherry on top....the VERY BEST in practical training will be found in union apprenticeships.

Your in a great position Terry.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-23-2007 19:08
in my opinion there are two main directions to go. work on the road, or in town. on the road get more money, and exposure to a wider variety of scenarios. this work would be plant to plant for maintenance shut downs, oil field, and cross country pipelines, ect. in town can be done at a fab shop, or on site structural, on site plant work. all of these can be done union or non union. both have there advantages, for a younger person i might recommend going union to get some real world experience and training. later in your career (about 5 years) if you still want to weld this experience together with your schooling will be a strong foundation for you to go almost any direction you could want. in my opinion
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-12-2007 16:13
Well, you are entering the welding field at the right time. There is going to be a great need for all types of welders here in the near future.  There are lots of welding jobs out there for a guy like you.  We need some aluminum welders up here in WI like i need to win the loto..  Pick your strong point and get a job doing that for a bit.  Try to get into a Union like, Pipefitters, boilermakers, ironworkers, etc etc. Whatever you you do stick with it because everyone in going to be screeming for welders in the next 3 years.
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 03-15-2007 00:28
WTF is a 'Welders Helper'? :-)

Forget that noise, everybody is crying for welders these days. Hell, if you have to, make up some 'experience'. They generally don't check.

You will probably get a test even if you put down you just got out of school. Welders are in the driver's seat these days, not like the old days when everybody was a welder and the companies could pick and choose.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I've completed my college welding school....now what ?