Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Filler metal classification
- - By Duke (***) Date 02-24-2007 02:05
I have a project that requires CVN of 20 ft/lb@-20°F, the shop is using Ultracore 71A75, heres the question... I see that this wire is classified  E71T-1 AND E71T-9, so which is it?  T-1 specs 20ft/lb@0°F, T-9 is 20@-20°F... I've been reporting filler as "E71T-1 (T-9).  Nobody has raised a question yet, i just wonder am i doing this right. Any insight would be appreciated. Oh, and they run 75/25 Ar/CO2
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 02-24-2007 03:43
The difference comes from the shielding gas that is being used. The Ultracore 71A75 is considered a dual gas wire.It can be used with either a 100% Co2, that gives it its's 71T-1 class, or, 75/25 for the better CVN rating of an E71T-9. The use of either gas still gives you a hydrogen rating of 8Mg. Go to the Lincoln website and look in products for all the low down.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 02-24-2007 04:14
So, I should report filler as E71T-9?  And forget about T-1?  So no one freaks out?
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 02-25-2007 01:18
Chances are that even if someone else is looking at the wps, they may not understand the differences. Under the classification heading, list both the -1 and -9,  and use the 75/25 as your shielding.If someone should ask, explain it to them. Just make sure that the fabricator knows the different weld properties they'll get if they choose to use the less expensive Co2. It would be a shame if they had to remove all those welds because they were trying to save a couple of bucks. Changing the gases would be a verible change anyhow. You should write a seperate procedure for each, listing the higher CVN values for the 75/25. That  should eliminate any confusion farther down the road.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-26-2007 16:27
I wonder if we're talking abut two different things here. Just because a filler specification classifies a material as 20/20 does not relieve the responsibility of procedure qualification with impacts. If your customers only concern is that a filler with those spec tested properties be used then there is no need to split the WPS's. Just write a job specific addenda to assure use of that specific material. If the job specs require Charpy's in qualification then of course you will need to run supplemental tests. And somebody assist my memory, if you supplemental for impacts doesn't gas shileding and wire suffix's automatically kick in anyway?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Filler metal classification