Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / wps
- - By nosetackle (**) Date 02-26-2007 08:55
hi all,

i have a GTAW+SMAW prq.
i prepared a gtaw+smaw wps
i can prepare gtaw+gtaw and/ or smaw +smaw
according to sec IX.

my question is if i can use theoretically gtaw+smaw wps for only gtaw+gtaw and/or smaw+smaw welding without writing a new wps ?
there is no problem with the range of qualifications.

Regards,

T.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-26-2007 14:39
nosetackle,
You can write numerous WPSs based on the one PQR but you will always be governed by the essential variables for that process or combination of processes,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By nosetackle (**) Date 02-27-2007 06:56
Shane,

my concern is not essential variables, all essential supplementary essential and non essential variables are suitable for a new GTAW + GTAW wps.
my concersn is for some reasons i dont want to prepare new GTAW+GTAW WPS, i know i can prepare.

for example i have a wps named abc123, which is  GTAW+ SMAW WPS for 12 mm material thickness (6mm GTAW+6mm GTAW)

whether i can use this wps named abc123 to weld  2" SCH 80 GTAW+GTAW (thickness is 5.54) or not,

Regards,
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-27-2007 09:52
Timur, you can prepare single process WPS based on multi-process PQR's.  I'm uncertain of exactly what you mean when you say gtaw+gtaw and smaw+smaw?  What changes are you intending?  As already mentioned, you'll only be able to take credit for the thickness of each deposit based on PQR for that process, so your single process WPS may be limited in thickness.
Parent - - By nosetackle (**) Date 02-27-2007 12:17
my point is, i do not want to prepare single process WPS due to some reasons.
i want to use multiple process WPS for single process
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-27-2007 12:51
I'm not sure I understand still?  You say you "do not want to prepare single process WPS due to some reasons."  Then you say you wish to use a "multiple process WPS for single process."  If I understand correctly, you wish to use a GTAW + SMAW PQR for only one process OR the other, but not BOTH processes? 

Thats certainly okay to do, just pay close attention to the variables as they will be applied separately to the WPS you create.  In other words, if you qualified the PQR at 75mm using BOTH processes (for example) but only 12mm were deposited with the GTAW process, you would be limited to 24mm for your GTAW WPS.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-28-2007 03:44
See QW-200.4:

When following a WPS that has more than one welding
process, filler metal, or set of variables, each process,
filler metal, or set of variables may be used individually
or in different combinations, provided
(1) the essential, nonessential, and required supplementary
essential variables associated with the process,
filler metal, or set of variables are applied
(2) the base metal and deposited weld metal thickness
limits of QW-451 for each process, filler metal, or
set of variables are applied.
Parent - By nosetackle (**) Date 02-28-2007 05:07
thank you very much jon & marty

this information will make lots of things easier for me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / wps