Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Charpy Impact Testing Information
- - By Richard V. Roch (**) Date 02-26-2007 13:54
Can impact test results have a high foot lb result with a low percent shear. Example the material is API 5L X52, impact tested per ASTM 370, longitudinal at 32 deg F, with the results being 43, 40 and 13 foot lbs, and the percent shear being 15, 10 and 10. Can percent shear be that low?
Thanks in advance
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 02-26-2007 14:54
The two at 43 and 40 seem low.  Perhaps a phone call to the testing lab may clear things up.  Find out about their calibration of equipment as a minimum.

Charles

PS - in my opinion the 13 ft-lb charpy value is not high.  It may be acceptable, but I don't think it qualifies as high.
Parent - - By Richard V. Roch (**) Date 02-26-2007 15:03
What is the relationship between foot pounds and percent shear. Can you have high foot pounds and low percent shear?
Thanks
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-26-2007 15:19
Yes, you can. A Charpy impact test is really measuring sort of a combination of strength AND ductility, if performed as a impact strength in ft/lbs. If a material has high strength and low ductility then you may see high ft/lbs and low shear. Remember,the ft/lbs measure is a hammer recoil. Therefore higher strength will cause the hammer to recoil higher even with low ductility. However, at some point the higher strength to ductility ratio can lead to a demonstrative brittle type fracture, defeating the ft/lbs measurement.
The debate has raged for decades as to which type of measure is the best. 31.3, for example, requires impact strength measurement. ASME III requires lateral expansion (emphasizing ductility more than strength). Differing code bodies with different people of differing opinions and differing applications drive the variation. Then toss in the percent shear measurements (estimated visually) just for fun. I tend to think that lateral expansion is a better measure.
There is also lateral contraction, but nobody every really uses that one any more. More research oriented guys push for CTOD's. And for good reason, they are more indicative of real material properties than Charpy's are. But cost and time are counter arguments.
Parent - By Richard V. Roch (**) Date 02-26-2007 15:46
Very well. I really appreciate the feedback. This has really been helpful.
thanks
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 02-26-2007 16:24
Sounds like a typo on the report to me.  The 1 is directly below the 4 on a ten key pad.
Parent - By Richard V. Roch (**) Date 02-26-2007 17:56
Very good point, I am going to call the lab and ask the question. The thing is another company that was to supply the pipe had the testing done and sent the results to us.
Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Charpy Impact Testing Information