Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / code approved welding process
- - By klh Date 02-28-2007 01:30
hi fellow AWS Forum members.
could someone help me answering the following question?
Could OFW-A be used to weld on a job that require AWS D1.1 code conformance?
thanks in advance.
klh
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-28-2007 03:41
A good question.  Here's what Section 3 says:

3.2.3 Other Welding Processes. Other welding processes
not covered by 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 may be used,
provided the WPSs are qualified by applicable tests as
described in Section 4.

This implies that OFW would be permitted, but there are no essential variables provided in Tables 4.5 or 4.7 for this process.  It is not clear how essential variables are addressed.  You could use 4.1.1.2 to qualify the process using ASME IX, provided the "Engineer" will accept it.

Why would you want to use OFW?
Parent - By klh Date 02-28-2007 15:44
hello MBSims.
thanks for your help.
I wouldn't want to use OFW.  I'm getting ready to take the CWI certification exam; I found this question in a sample questions for D1.1 and it seemed difficult to me.
although i went over the D1.1 and found the provisions of  3.2.1, 3.2.2  i was still having a worry; because  as you mention too,i didn't find any essetial variable for this process in tables 4.5 and 4.7. All these variables are relating to electrical(arc) welding processes. so i was asking myself if there is no prohibition for OFW somewhere in the D1.1 that i didn't find.
thanks to you, i notice that the provision of 4.1.1.2(WPS qualification to other standards) and 4.1.2.1(Previous performance qualification;to other standards) can be used to qualify the OFW process(WPS and performance) under other standars provided the engineer's approval for use under D1.1.

Thanks once more.
klh
Parent - By JA (**) Date 04-02-2007 07:16
if you don't mind me asking........Why.......?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / code approved welding process