Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASNT certs questioned by Canadians
- - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-28-2007 13:50
Has anyone else read the email that is circulating from Brian Roseburgh?  In it, he questions the validity of ASNT certifications.  He questions the whole program run by ASNT.  I can forward it to anyone who hasnt read it.  I would like to know how others ANST certified technicians feel about it.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2007 14:33
Whose Brian Roseburgh, and why should such an email carry weight?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2007 15:34
It isn't uncommon for other agencies to question the qualification programs of competing organizations.

Hell, the U.S. Navy sends people to the CWI seminars and some of them carry CWI certifications in their wallets, but the Navy will not recognize AWS' QC1 program for visual inspectors. They still insist on the NDT technicians be qualified to SNT-TC-1A for VT and other NDT methods.

The bottom line is that you have to satisfy your customer and meet their requirements for qualification and certification. Unless you are inspecting for a Canadian company, who gives a rat's butt of what they or Brian think?

Best regards
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-28-2007 16:43
I agree that is might not carry any weight, but that being said I have several Canadian clients, so I would like to at least read the e-mail. (just in case they have)  Could you PM it to me?

Thanks,

~thirdeye~
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-28-2007 17:29
Thirdeye, I sent it to you.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-28-2007 17:34
Brian Rosebrugh is with the Canadian General Standards Board.  I dont know what to make of his email, thats why I put it out there for comments from the community.  I never heard of the guy before, however he quotes Chuck Hellier who is respected in the NDE world.  I dont know if Chuck is aware that he is quoted. I dont even know why the email found its way to me.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-28-2007 20:41
dmilesdot,

Thank you for that copy. I believe that Brian holds CGSB license number 4 but does not serve on the CGSB.

He does make some bold statements and I certainly see where he is coming from on some of the issues. As you know, there has always been controversy between central certification and employer based certification.

I had not heard of any of this before now.  I have been an ASNT member for 25 years and would have thought had he sent the e-mail to so many ASNT members, there would have an official response, but one never knows.

Anyway thanks again for sharing.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By Ram_ (*) Date 02-28-2007 21:30
where can we read the statement or writing? Thanks.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2007 22:35
I would be interested in reading the comments as well. I don't work for an Canadian clients, but you never know.

Al
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-28-2007 23:07
Dave

Can you send me that information.  The AWS Certification Committee needs to know about this ASAP!

Thank You

Joe Kane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASNT certs questioned by Canadians