Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Lloyds Certification question
- - By welder6g (**) Date 02-28-2007 16:00
[deleted]
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-28-2007 22:47
ASME IX qualifies for pressure vessels, atmospheric tanks and piping. AWS D1 qualifies for structural steel. Welding ships is quite a different thing. That's why shipyards require qualification according to a shipbuilding certification, such as Lloyds or ABS (American Bureau of Shipping)
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 02-28-2007 23:04
From what I can tell it is as you have said. but it has been my experience that loyds will accept other certification bodies as long as they they follow an accepted procedure. They may require a welder qual though if they are in doupt of your ability or if you have no documented proof of the same. they are involved with D3.6 1999 (underwater welding). They do inspect and certifiy in that respect because not many do.
Parent - By chall (***) Date 02-28-2007 23:26
In my experience, the answer depends on the classification of the vessel.  If it is a Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit you should expect to have to retest in the presence of a Lloyds Surveyor unless you have a certificate issued within three years (backed up by certified activity every six months) from an IACS (International Association of Classification Societies) member. 

If it is a vessel with less stringent service, the assigned surveyor may accept other credentials.  Most likely they will not be accepted unless they were issued by one of the IACS  members, such as ABS.  Furthermore, there is generally a time limit on Lloyds certificates (typically three years, after which retesting is required regardless of activity history).

Charles

PS - Structural Welding in accordance with Section IX requires a 2G plate in addition to 3G and 4G (which are all that AWS D1.1 requires).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Lloyds Certification question