Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Pay Rate
- - By welderwv (*) Date 03-01-2007 14:35
Ok I am not trying to be nosey or anything but I was curious what the going rate is per hour for CWI work.  I know it depends on the qualifications and endorsements and type of job your inspecting so lets just say visual inspection to D1.1.  What would be a fair hourly pay to charge for that?

Thanks and again I am not trying to pry into your financial affairs but I need a ballpark!!
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 03-01-2007 15:25
There are a few existing threads regarding pay on this site.  As usual pay depends on many variables including experience, region, union/nonunion, how bad do they need you, reputation as well as many others.  But  id say $20- $35 would be the range for most.
Parent - By KAJUN1 (*) Date 03-01-2007 16:47
The 2 storms that hit the gulf coast last year is the best thing that ever happened to our industry. The average pay for a CWI right now is running between $35 & $40 an hr., most combo welders are drawing $25 to $28 an hr. The per deim is up to about $85 to $110 a day, depending on the area & the shortage of the work force. With more qualifications the price is only going up.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-01-2007 17:32
welderwv,

I sounds like you are asking about rates to charge to the client, not wages you would expect if working for an inspection company.

Rates in the West are $55-$65 per hour for straight time.  Travel time, stand-by time and reporting time is charged at the same rate. Per Diem is at cost, mileage is $.75/mile, airline and rental cars are cost + 15%. Of course this includes labor, tools, safety equipment, insurance, digital camera, laptop, cell phone and other overhead expensed the company may have. 

Wages are typically $25 to $40 based on the job requirements.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 03-01-2007 18:39
Yes I was looking more for a cost of billing a client.  Cost per hour of an individual doing the inspection not through a inspection company.  An individual carrying his own insurance, material costs, etc.  I had heard $55-$65 but wanted to make sure that is in the right ballpark.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-01-2007 19:49
i've seen billing fron  $55 to $80. there are a lot of factors that will affect this rate
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Pay Rate