Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / QUALIFICATION VALIDITY D17.1:2001
- - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-01-2007 21:23 Edited 03-02-2007 13:24
Good day,

I know that, I have to maintain a record of the process to verifie that the welder have used the process whitin six months. The code says that this record must be auditable, so my question is, who cheks this record? or this depends only of the company. And the othr question is, exists some format to the record?

Also, I am confused with qualification/certfication validity, specificaly with Initial validity and extended validity. I understand the follow, first certification is emitted at least for two years and after that validity is extended like I writed in the previous paragraph.
Could anybody help with this topic?

thank you.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-02-2007 17:31
The code says that this record must be auditable, so my question is, who cheks this record?

Are you ISO 9001 certified?  They will surely check to make sure you are compliant with your own written procedures.

Who's hardware are you reworking?... They may wish to audit.

Lot's of code shops have welder continuity records... Cspec has programs for sale that can do it for you... Others make Excell doccuments that have timers that alert you when a qual time runs short.

As for your second question... its very unclear... If your welder continues to work in process and you have a mechinisim to record that, you are compliant with the code..... 

Some organizations may require more strict qualification regimine like annual performance tests for every alloy group, they will stipulate that in contract/bid language. Than you may choose to comply and bid the work or not.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-06-2007 20:28
hello,

But,  what about with "4.2.3.1 Initial validity"?, what is the meaning of that point?.

thanks 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2007 21:07
I interpret that as the minimum time value to be compliant with the code assuming they also conform to 4.2.3.2. An operator or authority may choose to have a higher standard, they would still be compliant to the code.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 16:26
Good morning,

Studing the development of our project to obtain the cost, we concluded that it will be a great investment, so, also the scope of the validity should be big. My question is, if welding jobs in our company are sporadic (3, 2, maybe 1 jobs per year) what can I do to maintain the welding records acoording to "4.2.3.2 Extended validity"? Can I made tests (like training) and record them, fullfilling with the "4.2.3.2 extended validity"?

thank you
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-08-2007 17:12
the welding does not have to be performed on a job. just in the process certified.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 18:58
hello,
I am sorry, I donĀ“t understand you, Can you explain me, maybe with a example?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-08-2007 19:24
if you have your welder weld something in the process he is certified in like , a piece of scrap, i wine rack, a new bumper for your truck. this will satasfy the contitunity requirements. just keep documination of welder, date, and process. per aws
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 20:33
ok, let me see.

I mean, My welder can weld anything as long as satisfy with the certified process (material, thickness, weld positions ...). It is neccesary that a qualified weld inspector check this welds? or the engineering autorithy and I can record the procedure without the necessity of a inspector, can We?

thank you
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-08-2007 20:46
typicaly it would be a shop forman or shop qc guy
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 22:03
This person would be a someone who works in the compoany that knows the topic, or he would be an external people. So, I ask you taht because, the person of the institution that will certify us said me that this welds have to be check by a quaify welding inspector.

thanks
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-08-2007 22:06
what certification are you trying to get?
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 22:08
we have D17.1:2001 CODE, AIRCRAF APPLICATIONS, AND WE WANT TO CERTIFY PROCEDURE AND WELDER.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-08-2007 22:11
have your quailty control guy do it
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 22:14
YES, THE COMPANY HAVE A QUALITY ASSURANCE AREA, BUT NOBODY IS QUALIFY IN WELDING.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-08-2007 22:15
THEY ONLY VERIFY THAT THE PROCEDURES COMPLIANT WITH THE STANDARS.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-08-2007 23:15
nobody needs to be qualified to prepare a weld continuity log. there are no requirements for the person doing this.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-09-2007 12:44
ok, thank you for your information, that was a great help for me.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-25-2007 05:37
we sent one of our qc guys to an aws program to qualify him for the visuals required every two months...I am not sure this was a requirement but I suspect it was..to insure he was qualified to pass the visual or shoot it down for further testing.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / QUALIFICATION VALIDITY D17.1:2001