Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / level of purity in shielding gasses
- - By - Date 05-13-2000 23:07
from reading sales literature one would believe that the purity level of shielding gas is quite high but i often notice variations in weld quality and arc stability from one bank of gas to the next.
how common is it to recieve "bad gas"? we are using 98%argon-2%oxygen from AGA. most of our processes involve short circut transfer with .045" 409ti wire on 409 stainless tubing.
we also are running 308 lsi wire in .035",performing a rotary weld by hand, joining an oxygen sensor fitting (i belive it is astm304) to a 409 tube.
is the 98/2 the optimum gas for these applications?
thanks in advance for your replies, greg
Parent - By - Date 05-14-2000 11:56
I once had 4 bottles of pure argon that I was told many times that its not bad,it's your welders doing somthing wrong.Well three weeks later they said yes the bottles where contaminated. If you think they are bad change them out for good it will only drive you nuts.(Have them tested.)
Parent - By - Date 05-19-2000 16:58
A better choice of shielding gas may be Stainshield Light or Stainshield Universal from BOC gases.
Both are blends of Argon/Helium/CO2 and result in much cleaner welds and less post weld cleaning associated with
2% Oxygen mixes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / level of purity in shielding gasses