Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Surface Roughness
- - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 03-02-2007 13:34
Can anyone give me an example of a surface roughness limitation of 500 per ANSI/ASME B46.1. We use the C4.1-77 AWS Surface Roughness Guide, is this an adequate way to ensure that we are getting a limitation of 500 or less? We make the shop guys grind to Sample #3 at a minimum, am I right in assuming we are OK? Thanks in advance for the help.
Michael B
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 03-02-2007 19:31
That is what I use and you will be fine.  C4.1-77 is awful expensive for 4 lousy pages with very little usable info on those pages and the small plastic sample, but what you gonna do?... (especially if they are copy machine copies as mine were when I bought it several years ago.  Complained and got my money refunded.)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2007 03:39
You got written text with yours? All I got was the plastic replica after waiting a year.

Al
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 03-05-2007 19:58
Yes.  There are 4 pages if I remember right.  Not much text and very little useful in diagrams.  Mine were copy machine coipies which I returned.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-06-2007 22:55
I find the plastic replica very helpful when training new hires about how rough their cuts are allowed to be.  It's not easy to explain "roughness" without something to compare it too.  I don't have any paperwork w/ my either.  How about posting those 4 pages for all to see?  Chris
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 03-07-2007 13:27
Since AWS sells this, I can not post it on their web site.  Copyright infringement and all that.  Sorry.
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 07-18-2007 14:29
This might be a little late but after searching the forum for the answer I found the answer I was looking for in FEMA 353
Per FEMA 353 sample 4 is 500 micro-inches.

5.1.3 Cut Surface Roughness
After thermal cutting, the RBS surface shall have a surface roughness of no more than 500
microinches (AWS C4.1-77, sample 4). Grinding of thermally cut edges shall be provided only
as necessary to meet this criteria. Corners between the cut RBS surface and the top and bottom
of the flanges shall be ground to remove sharp edges, but a minimum radius or chamfer is not
required.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Surface Roughness